Roaster vs. Fryer (chicken).....

starlightfarmNovember 8, 2009

I know that "roasters" are bigger, older hens and "fryers" are generally smaller, younger chickens.

I have always used fryers for baking a chicken (high-roast and Sticky Finger 5 hr roasted). They always turn out great.

My local supermarket had their big roasters on sale today, so I got one.....

Do I need to treat this bird any differently?? (other than cooking time, since it is a larger bird)

Sorry..... I'm sure this is an elementary question to you great cooks on this board.... but I'm learning a lot from you guys!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ann_t

The roasters that I buy are not "Older hens". They are usually only 7 to 8 weeks old. Running anywhere from 5 to 7 pounds. Fryers are just smaller birds, usually 2 to 3 pounds. I bought four stewing hens today, and they were actually quite small. I bought them to make stock.

You don't need to treat a roasting chicken any different that you would a small fryer that you are going to roast.

Ann

Bookmark   November 8, 2009 at 9:45PM
starlightfarm

Thanks ann_t..... I guess that was just an assumption on my part (that they were older hens).

That's why I came to you guys!

So.... sounds like the only difference is the weight of the chicken?

Bookmark   November 9, 2009 at 12:13AM
rachelellen

Who knows how grocery stores rate their fowl? Originally, I believe age would have made a difference, but dunno about now. Grandma fried young chickens, roasted older chickens and then stewed the old biddies who had got past laying but were "tough as an old hen!"

I buy 10 pound bags of chicken quarters at a local store for about $6 partially because they're cheap, but a bigger part of the reason is that they are from larger, older chickens and have more of the real chicken flavor I remember from my childhood.

Apparently, commercial chickens are slaughtered quite young, and so are tender no matter what way you cook them. But a certain amount of flavor is sacrificed.

For myself, I have a mouth full of teeth that work just fine and I would prefer to chew a bit more to get better flavor. For this reason, I've never been all that worked up about veal or filet mignon. Yeah they're tender, but I want beef that tastes like beef and steak that tastes like steak!

Same sentiment applies with chicken. I want it to taste like a chicken!

Bookmark   November 9, 2009 at 7:19AM
arley_gw

Ditto on the above. Flavor increases with maturity, but tenderness decreases.

I generally use roasters for well, roasting, and for soups.

I once had some 'squab chickens'--not true squabs, but little bitty chickens. (The French term is poussin--the birds are slaughtered at about 4 weeks.) Incredibly tender, but nearly tasteless. I'm never going to bother with them again.

Bookmark   November 9, 2009 at 10:04AM
annie1992

I agree, I'd rather chew a bit more and have something that tastes like something.

Truthfully, in the industry a "roaster" is a special breed of chicken, usually something called a Cornish Cross. They are bred to be like bowling balls with legs and can be raised from a chick to 8 pounds in 6 weeks or so.

Now the problem with these particular genetic mutations is that if they are not slaughtered before they are about 8 weeks old, the weight of the bird will break their own puny legs, or they'll just sit at the feeder and eat until they have a heart attack and die. That's the "roaster" in today's commercial market.

So, the fryers may be a week or two younger, maybe not, but they are different birds altogether.

Annie

Bookmark   November 9, 2009 at 11:06AM
More Discussions
Favorite pies?
My son attends NERD school; Kidding! They are a bunch...
rob333
Monkey Princess makes pretzels
The Monkey Princess decided that we needed to learn...
annie1992
What happened? Scientifically speaking...
Well, I'm hoping there may be someone here to give...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
Does this Nutella frosting on my cake need to be refrigerated?
I finally found a Nutella frosting recipe that I really...
sooz
Aeropress coffee-science question for coffee weenies
I got an Aeropress today. Just made my first cup of...
l pinkmountain
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™