pic color drained

plantbugJuly 4, 2012

How do you get the picture to look alive? When I post a picture, they are so drab next to most others I see. What is the secret?

Any help appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gmom74

I'm no expert but probably a lot of people use a program like Photoshop Elements to sharpen and adjust colors in their photographs. There are other programs out there that will work also.

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 9:53AM
zen_man

If your camera menu has a Color Space option, it will probably let you choose between sRGB and Adobe RGB (and possibly others). The default is probably sRGB because older monitors are limited to that smaller color space. Adobe RGB is a larger color space, and newer monitors can benefit from a larger color space.

Also, your camera may have a menu setting for Picture Control, with options like Standard, Neutral, Vivid, Monochrome, Portrait, and Landscape. Check your camera manual to see what options are available to you.

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 8:44AM
iowagirl2006

I have my camera set to "vivid" so my colors pop more (personal preference for me)

I can also sharpen my pictures, although it doesn't make a tremendous difference on most.

I reduce the file size of my pictures before I upload (I use a windows power toy image resizer so I do not have to open the picture in a separate program to resize).

I do not use "auto" settings my my DSLR. I find that if I use auto settings my pictures are very flat and boring.

Explore your camera! Even if it not a DSLR, you can do some tweaking of the settings to get more out of it.

Unedited picture

Image that has been shaprpened:

Bookmark   July 15, 2012 at 7:03PM
plantbug

iowagirl2006, your before pic looks better than mine do!! Thanks for your tips, I will try them out.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Bookmark   July 15, 2012 at 9:45PM
sshrivastava

Bookmark   July 18, 2012 at 2:50PM
juanital

Contrast and/or lowering gamma or brightness, a little saturation. There are many paying and free programs that will do that. Vivid in camera does a good job, too! I'm not sure if you already have a program but I've been a loyal user of free Irfanview for at least 5 years. The first few years was trying to figure out what worked good for my personal taste.

juanital

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 9:52PM
More Discussions
11 things that drive most photographers crazy
As I'm sure you already know by now, there are some...
JamesScott86
Butterfly in my Garden
While working in my garden, this fella allowed me enough...
joyfulflowers
Digital or Otherwise?
Have scads of photo equipment based around a Canon...
pink_warm_mama_1
Re-introducing myself
Hi my name is Juanita- I got into photography through...
juanital
Fire in the sky
no photoshop~
JeanInWa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™