Buyer's remorse: did I make the right choice?

peace_roseJuly 27, 2009

Usually I do my research about a purchase before making it, but we're going on vacation and tomorrow and I wanted to make a decision. I bought a Canon Powershot A1000IS today. I went to the store intending to purchase the Canon Powershot SD1200 IS. I'm not really sure what swayed me toward the A1000. I guess I liked that it is a little bit bigger and that it uses AA or NIMH batteries which I already am set up for. Is one of these 2 cameras hands-down better than the other, or is it a win-win sort of thing?

I already own a Canon Digital Rebel XT and I love the picture quality. I only use it on AUTO though; I have no idea how to operate the dang thing. I realized I've been taking fewer pictures because I never have it with me when I need it. I needed something inexpensive that could roll around in my purse to use for snapshots. I also have 3 little kids who are constantly in motion, so I'm hoping the move back to a regular digital camera won't disappoint (it's the reason I upgraded to an SLR in the first place). My first digital was a Canon A75. Has technology improved a lot in the past 5 years? (In terms of the flash delay I mean).

So I guess I'm looking for reassurance that the A1000 is a good camera. Otherwise I may keep the receipt and exchange it for the SD1200.

Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
solstice98

I'm sure you'll be happy with it and can't imagine there would be much difference in picture quality between these two cameras. Like you, I have a nice Canon that I rarely take out of the pack (it takes great pictures when I do!) and a small Nikon that I keep in my purse at all times. I love the pictures I take with the little cheapie Nikon wouldn't give it up for anything!

Bookmark   July 28, 2009 at 1:13PM
alisande

One thing I can tell you is Steve's Digicams lists the A1000IS under Best Cameras, whereas the SD1200IS isn't mentioned. Steve's website is a good place to check out reviews.

Here is a link that might be useful: Steve's Digicams

Bookmark   July 29, 2009 at 10:08AM
peace_rose

Thanks Solstice and Ailsande - that's very reassuring!
Still haven't taken it out of the box because I ran into one review that says the flash recovery rate for the SD1200 is 3.5 seconds and the A1000's is 6 seconds. That seems like a long time and it's the only thing holding me back. I think I should just stop obsessing about it and throw the batteries in and enjoy! :)

Bookmark   July 29, 2009 at 10:50AM
More Discussions
Question about posting photos with Houzz
It's nice that we can post four pictures now from our...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
19 most expensive photographs ever sold
Here's a cool article listing (and showing) the top...
JamesScott86
My digital slideshow on Utube Xmas 14
This is what I do with my digital photo's, music added...
aputernut
here are some bird pictures
I have a Nikon 5100 and 2 zoom lens one I use for the...
Lorna1949
Sponsored Products
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Artistic Weavers Rugs Meredith Silver Gray 2 ft. 6
Home Depot
Helena Round Topiary - MULTI COLORS
$5,000.00 | Horchow
Area Rug: Meredith Olive Green 3' 6" x 5' 6"
Home Depot
Cosmopolitan Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$345.60 | Bellacor
"Leland" Square Frame - GREEN
$100.00 | Horchow