What's for dinner St. Patrick's Day?

patti43March 17, 2013

Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone! It was so sunny all day, but now it's a little overcast.

Tonight for dinner we're having corned beef, colcannon, cooked carrots and mint Klondike bars (for the green color and because they're so darned good). This is my first try at colcannon, but it's very easy.

What are you having for dinner tonight?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kathsgrdn

Marie Callender's beef pot pies. And leftover apple crumble pie.

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 5:22PM
jasdip

I've heard of colcannon Patti, and I've meant to try it, but keep forgetting. It's cabbage and potatoes, right? How was it?

Today was a cold and sunny day. Hubby went out and shovelled the snow from under the clothes line and I hung out our sheets and towels!! Yum, smell so good!

A friend recommended Basa fish recently. I had never heard of it, and know that you are quite the fish-lover, with your tilapia. It turns out that it was on sale this week, half-price. We bought a package and I liked the look of the fillets, so we went and bought 2 more today, without even trying it. 6 frozen fillets in a bag, for $5, regular $10.

I made it tonite, heavily seasoned with my spice mix, in a skillet. Along with it we had stir-fried veggies and rice. We both loved it. I'll have to think of different ways to serve it. I'll go back on the seafood thread that we had a few weeks ago and see if something tempts me. We don't eat fish at all, even though I know it's so healthy.

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 5:34PM
chisue

I was going to lie and say "snake", but no, we're having chicken.

Both DH and I have a bit o' Irish in us. You?

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 5:54PM
monica_pa

Ham and cabbage.
With a box of irish potatoes for dessert.

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 6:20PM
gadgets

No Irish fare here. Just leftovers from last night... porkchop, mashed potatoes/gravy, with peas instead of corn.

That colcannon sounds pretty good. Especially since I like both mashed potatoes AND cabbage.

Shirley

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 6:28PM
patti43

Kath, I've never tried the beef pies, but I love the chicken. Did you like the beef?

Jasdip, we haven't eaten yet, but colcannon sure is easy to make. Now that's dedication on both your parts for DH to shovel and you to hang out sheets in the snow!! Were they "crispy"?

Chisue--:-) You know snake tastes just like chicken, don't you? Yep, I'm 1/4 Irish. My grandfather was a baby and his siblings very young (I think there were 9 of them) when they came to the states. Grew up hearing that brogue.

Monica, isn't St. Patrick's day a big deal in PA or do I have the wrong day? Someplace there is a huge parade--I was thinking it was Philly.

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 6:36PM
angelaid

Corned beef (slow roasted in the oven), baby red taters and cabbage. Can't wait for dinner!

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 6:37PM
marilyn_sue

Nothing special here for my supper. Bologna sandwiches and iced tea.

Sue

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 6:39PM
sjerin

Since it's just me tonight, I bought a single serving of c. beef, potatoes, carrots and cabbage at the grocery store. Yum. Am wearing a bright-green shirt!

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 7:01PM
patti43

Shirley, the colcannon was very good, but I couldn't distinguish the cabbage taste with the potatoes.

Angelaid, corned beef always tastes so good to me because it isn't something we eat a lot of during the year--and that makes it special. Enjoy yours!

Marilyn, at least you didn't have to cook it ;-)

Sjerin, what a great idea--I forgot the deli depts. offer it. I have on a green sweatshirt.

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 7:43PM
monica_pa

Yes, there was a parade in center city Phila...sponsored by the AOH (Ancient Order of Hibernians)

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 8:40PM
chisue

Does anyone else find it hard to picture *Marilyn Sue* with just a bologna sandwich and iced tea? Can't be.

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 12:18PM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I slow roasted my corned beef brisket in the oven also(in beer) along with baby red potatoes and baby carrots, steamed the cabbage, it was all excellent.

My mothers fathers family was from Ireland or so we have been told, never did any ancestry on them but would be interesting.

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 1:20PM
More Discussions
Snakes!
It is that time here. There are snakes everywhere....
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Airline pilots and antidepressants
As of five years ago, airline pilots are allowed to...
Alisande
Have You Found Any Bargains Lately?
Have you found any bargains lately? I needed a gallon...
marilyn_sue
Chuck roasts
I can remember when they were 50 cents a pound :(
lucillle
First one arrived safe and sound
First calf of the season arrived today. Mom and baby...
prairie_rose
Sponsored Products
First Aid Drinking Flask
Classic Hostess
Rooster Dinnerware Set, Blue
The City Farm
'New Yorker On Duty' Cotton Beach Towel
Overstock.com
Estiluz | T-512 Round Ceiling Light
$403.00 | YLighting
Black Forest Eight-Day Musical Hand-Painted Flowers 13-Inch Cuckoo Clock
Bellacor