Going Digital

carmelliaJuly 23, 2008

Am I the last person in the world using a Canon AE-1 SLR? I love the camera but the advantages of digital cannot be denied. I want to stay with the SLR and am leaning to the xTi and the XSi.

I have two nagging concerns. I have borrowed my brother-in-law's digital and the screen is very difficult to see. It has to be at exactly the right angle and out of direct light or it becomes a blank screen. Also, the colors are not true. In particular, blue is drained out of most colors. Purple becomes garish pink and lavender becomes baby pink. He tells me that he has features that will let me paint it the color I want. But I want the color it is, not the color I paint it.

Is this just because he has a very inexpensive camera or do digitals have a problem with seeing true colors?

Thank you very much for your help. And thanks for all the beautiful pictures. I have never been to this forum before, but I will be back. I love seeing other peoples pictures as much as I love taking my own.

I hope to be posting pictures soon. Another advantage over the old Canon SLRs. Carmellia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mypedlcar

Hi Carmellia! I can assure you that you are not the last person on earth still shooting an AE1. I am a semi-pro photographer & I used to shoot the AE1. It is a great little camera. Digital is great but you do want to stay with an SLR digital. Unless you want to stay with Canon I would suggest you look at the Nikon D80. I shoot the Nikon D70 (version B4 the D80)& I love it. My son (also a photographer) shoots the D80 & I find that it is not only quieter but the screen on the back is larger & easier to see. Color on the Nikons are very accurate. I have had mine for 3 years with no problems. Be sure & invest in a photo printer if you do not already own one. You will want to print some of those pix you will be taking! Have fun!

Bookmark   July 23, 2008 at 10:29PM
More Discussions
Question about posting photos with Houzz
It's nice that we can post four pictures now from our...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
linear polarizing filter
Hi, I have a linear polarizing filter (make unknown)...
shakushinnen
A question
I guess this is a somewhat different subject but it...
gmom74
Homemade PVC Photo Booth
I normally post in another Garden Forum, but thought...
oldalgebra
Some of my garden photography
Hi!!!! I didn't know there was a photography forum...
Desirai
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™