What kind of worm is this?

TerrapotsMarch 10, 2010

I was cleaning out my cat's litter box and found a worm, looks nothing like the cat parasites but more like those worms one can find under a corn husk. It had a head with little pinchers with a body like a tiny caterpillar, about 3/4 inch long, amber in color. She threw up all her food a couple of days ago and I was wondering if this could have been in the food. It was after 5 when I found it, too late to call the vet. The vet will probably want to see it I suppose. She's a 100% indoor cat who was dewormed last year and she's been pretty active and happy, eating well, almost too well. I'm feeding her small meals because when she threw up I had filled her dish too much and she ate it all with gusto and threw it all up in front of her litter box.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mazer415

Sounds like a maggot not a worm...I will be waiting to hear from you what the vet has to say....

Bookmark   March 11, 2010 at 1:32AM
annzgw

Are you sure it's not an earwig? Caterpillar's have legs (unlike worms) and what you have sounds large for a maggot. Earwigs definitely have the pinchers, but they're harmless.

Bookmark   March 11, 2010 at 11:43AM
kittens

I was thinking earwig too. And, are you sure it didn't come in with the litter?

Bookmark   March 11, 2010 at 1:52PM
calliope

Could it be a blowfly larva? They are commonly called warbles when they live under an animal's skin and when they are mature, they can reach 3/4 inch in length, and also have hooks. They drop out of animal and search for a dry place to pupate.

How does an animal get infected? Usually the blowfly will find a sore, or even a fecal matte and lay an egg there, and when the worms hatch, they burrow under the skin. Normally these are seen in outside animals. Here in S.E. Ohio you would not find blow flies around infecting animals in cold weather. But, if you live in a warm climate, they could be present year-round and could get in a house.

Here is a link that might be useful: blowfly larvae

Bookmark   March 11, 2010 at 7:14PM
Terrapots

Won't be able to take tht thing to the vet until Monday but from the link Calli gave it does look like a blowfly larvae. I've never heard of these larvae, nor seen anything like that. Just wondered if it could have been from the food she vomited. She has no teeth to masticate but in feces it still should have been digested? Anyway, I haven't seen any rotting carcasses around here lately, LOL, but I will report back if I get an answer from the vet.

Bookmark   March 12, 2010 at 8:48PM
calliope

No, if it were blowfly, it would not be in her stomach. They are not a true internal parasite. They not only infest rotting carcasses, but live animals. I have seen them in rabbit, cow and cats. The larvae when it is very tiny burrows under the skin and lives there until it drops out, crawls (icky, I've seen them do that) and finds a dry place to pupate.

Bookmark   March 12, 2010 at 11:50PM
More Discussions
It's 2015....time for a new post about Vaccuum cleaners for Pet hair!!
Exciting, I know!! :). I searched and the most recent...
magsnj
Suddenly lost use of rear legs.
My 6 year old Golden suddenly lost use of his rear...
jgatty
dog suddenly licking snow and plants
Today, like normal, my dog woke me when she needed...
greengirlreba
cat with renal failure
My 17 yo cat has renal failure and has developed abdominal...
dlana
My cat has an unknown illness! Help!!!!
Hi There I have a 14 and a half year old male cat Sylvester...
rachelmfi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™