The pics are getting bigger and bigger.......

alisandeJuly 17, 2009

I've noticed--not just here, but on other forums as well--that the images people are posting seem to be getting larger all the time. It used to be we were cautioned against posting anything over a certain size. (I think it was 640 x 480.) I guess that rule doesn't apply anymore.

All of this is not a problem for me, as I have a high-speed broadband connection. But I wonder if some other members might be having trouble loading these uber-images, to the point where they give up trying to look.

This is a relatively quiet forum, but I thought I'd mention it here as the subject is Photography, after all.

Any thoughts?

Susan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joan_mn

I have posted bigger pics, but more compressed. It does suck when a person is on dial-up, everything is so slow to open.

Bookmark   July 17, 2009 at 11:20AM
pfmastin

I agree, I remember how frustrating dial up could be.

I went with Photobucket's 640 X 480 and felt a little guilty. Let me know if they should be smaller from now on and I'll be happy to comply.

Pam

Bookmark   July 17, 2009 at 2:50PM
joan_mn

Pam, 640 x 480 is pretty standard. Otherwise, they're too small to see. Since this is a photo forum, we want people to be able to see our photos!
:>)

Bookmark   July 17, 2009 at 3:51PM
solstice98

Thanks for the reminder! I usually post 640x480 but don't always remember to reduce them.

Bookmark   July 17, 2009 at 5:21PM
ronf_gw

Most of what I have on photobucket is 640X480.

Ron

Bookmark   July 17, 2009 at 6:09PM
pfmastin

Hmmmm....I have a question then. Just because I reduce the photos to 640 X 480 when uploading to Photobucket, it sounds like that might not necessarily mean that it reduces the size of the file? Or does it?

Pam

Bookmark   July 17, 2009 at 6:28PM
joan_mn

It should reduce it. But when I use IrfanView to resize my pics, the KB's are way more than when I resize in Paint Shop Pro and use higher compression. So there are two aspects to reducing the pics.
I prefer to have them be 800 x 600 or so, and compressed more. They pop open fairly quickly and the upload is way faster.

Bookmark   July 17, 2009 at 6:37PM
pfmastin

Thank you, Joan. I'm new to Irfanview and use it off and on...I like that you can resize/convert a whole batch of pictures. So much to learn.

Bookmark   July 17, 2009 at 7:26PM
joan_mn

I do that all the time. Batch operation. Just make sure you put it in a NEW folder and as a double safety, make sure "overwrite files" is NOT checked!

Bookmark   July 25, 2009 at 1:09PM
rcnaylor

Hey Joan, off subject, remember when we traded e-mails a couple of times years ago about photography? I just got one of those things on Facebook suggesting you as a friend. If Facebook can dig up such obscure contacts, imagine what the Feds can do to check out our associates?!

I guess I'm gonna hafta quit going to those Al Quida training conferences on line.

Bookmark   July 27, 2009 at 10:14AM
joan_mn

Boy, that is odd, isn't it? Good thing we were only talking photo stuff and not bank-robberies or something!

Bookmark   July 27, 2009 at 5:11PM
More Discussions
A question
I guess this is a somewhat different subject but it...
gmom74
Mojave Deserts Forgotten
This is a picture i took of a Spanish style home in...
manakay_831
DX or FX?
Hello all, I recently purchased a nikon d300. Im new...
andi2928
Re-introducing myself
Hi my name is Juanita- I got into photography through...
juanital
Question about posting photos with Houzz
It's nice that we can post four pictures now from our...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Sponsored Products
Matilda Outdoor Bench
Grandin Road
Big Table Cone Satin Red Three-Light Table Lamp with Off-White Shade
$650.00 | Bellacor
Burns Ottoman - Cordova Picante Orange
Joybird Furniture
Four-Tier Shelf & Liners
$179.00 | FRONTGATE
My Commute Personalized Growth Chart Decal
$27.99 | zulily