repairing an enamel pot

kathleencaMarch 2, 2009

I have a Vollrath Kook King pot from the '30s. This cookware is enamel over steel. My pot, which I love, has developed a hole about the size of 1 or 2 pin heads in the bottom, where the enamel was chipped before I acquired it.

Does anyone know where or how to fix this pot? I have contacted the manufacturer, done some Google searching & called the one enameling company in my area (which does only aerospace work & doesn't know another company).

I have also posted this on the Cooking forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: A Kook King pot - different style than mine

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marilyn_c

You used to be able to buy little washers to patch pots with. I have an old glass jar with a metal lid that has two, maybe 3 patches on it.

This is the top.

This is the bottom of the lid.

I don't know how effective the patches are on pots. I have seen old pots with patches but that was because people were often not in financial shape to buy a new pot.

I see little enamel pots like that at thrift shops very often. If you are attached to it as a keepsake, I'd just keep it and find another one to use. But...that's me. ;)

Bookmark   March 2, 2009 at 5:48PM
nodakgal

First thing I thought of was what Marilyn said. I have a huge roaster that was mended with them. They are called Mend-its or is it Mend-ets?? They are hard to find though...but I haven't done an online search for them, so you might try that.

Bookmark   March 2, 2009 at 6:09PM
nodakgal

Boy! THey might be really hard to find! LOL
These are vintage,but gives you an idea of how they are or were sold.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mendets

Bookmark   March 2, 2009 at 6:14PM
kathleenca

Hi Marilyn,
I just finished reading your post about the baby possums. Boy they are cute! I had no idea their ears were so big - they don't seem particularly noticeable on adults.

At one time I knew about those washers; I appreciate you making the effort to post the pictures. Yes, people used to have to repair many things. I saw a picture somewhere on GW showing a welded crack in a cast iron pot.

You've given me an idea, though; I'll take the pot to our local real hardware store to see if they have an idea. I like this pot a LOT - it's a wonderful green, looks great in my kitchen, & it's a good size for soups, etc. - 4 qts. Instead of handles, it has a bail like a bucket. I want to try to get it fixed before relegating it to plant-growing.

I didn't mention it, but the Kook King enamel pots all had pint & cup measure lines on the inside of the pots. Very handy.

Thanks, Marilyn
P.S. Congratulations on your house!

Bookmark   March 2, 2009 at 6:16PM
More Discussions
Chuck roasts
I can remember when they were 50 cents a pound :(
lucillle
Airline pilots and antidepressants
As of five years ago, airline pilots are allowed to...
Alisande
A new Random Letters game
Remember this one? You post a string of 6-7 random...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Facebook question
Lately, some of my Facebook things are not showing...
susanwv
Sponsored Products
Chef Pig Quilted Cotton Oven Mitt
Overstock.com
Teak Square Planter - Small
Signature Hardware
Modern Kitchen Rack
$319.99 | Dot & Bo
Brighton Tiering Pot Fountain with Birdhouse
Lamps Plus
Flower Market Black Squashed Pot - MULTI COLORS
$70.00 | Horchow