Drop in sink to undermount sink

littlelizzy123February 24, 2014

Hello!
My husband and I are going to be gutting our 1970s split level soon, and the only thing worth keeping in the entire thing is the sink. It is a beautiful, big, deep, 2-well, drop in, composite sink (I think). It's black in color with a matte finish, and looks a bit like some sort of countertop material. It's pretty much the only non- original thing in the house. I'd really like to keep it, but I HATE the fact that it is set a centimeter or so away from the backsplash and all sorts of nasties get stuck behind there. I love the look of an under mount sink, and we are getting new countertops anyway. We are thinking soapstone, quartz, caesarstone, concrete, etc. Really, any countertop is better than the flowered, sunshine yellow travesty we have now. I guess I'm asking since we are getting a brand new countertop anyway, could our countertop guy just install the sink as an under mount? I wanted to ask you guys first before they laughed at me...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
littlelizzy123

Update: This is a Blanco Silgranite II sink. Some sort of granite mixy thing.
I would probably change the faucet, as I really don't like the way it is offset. If you don't watch what you're doing, you can have the faucet turned to far to the right and water goes down the side of the counter. :(

Here is a link that might be useful: Blanco Silgranite Diamond Sink in Anthracite

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 11:52PM
Trebruchet

littlelizzy 123:

Undermounting that sink shouldn't be any problem. Use a Hercules Universal Sink Harness.

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 7:07AM
littlelizzy123

Thanks so much! I'll look into it!

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 10:48PM
oldryder

depending on the material you'll have an issue with how large the cutout would be. Even in quartz the front and rear rails will be quite thin. There are a few ways to deal with this, the best one being a "bump-out" at the sink location that makes the countertop about 3" deeper. Good choice if you have the room.

Otherwise a good fabricator could give you a couple of options.

One other consideration: drop in sinks usually have a larger radius at the corner between the vertical wall of the sink and the top flange. Not an issue if you want to expose the flange (which makes the cutout even bigger) but can be an issue of a bacteria trap if you are going with a slight overhang. from the pic yours looks like a fairly sharp radius.

Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 10:05AM
More Discussions
Under Cabinet Lights, Kelvin Question
For our kitchen remodel we’ve already installed Cree...
athomesewing
Please help me decide on kitchen wall cab elevations
We have a 10 foot sloped ceiling (10 feet where the...
veroni2413
Neolith polished Classtone?
Has anyone seen any of the new neolith classtone surfaces...
nels1678
Kitchen Layout opinions
Hi, due to some plan changes (for expense reasons)...
sfstanek1
Help design custom sink--mitigating risk
I posted here about the possibility of a marble sink...
crl_
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™