Washed out reds on digital

gor-gorJune 19, 2009

I'll have to start using the manual settings on my Fuji 8000 to get a photo of my red flowering desert rose but I don't know where to start. I've tried bright sunlight, bright shade and cloudy days. They all get seriously washed out, blazing red. I also tried to get a shot of myself in a red dress (indoors with regular lights) and it turned out to be a red blob in the shape of me. :)

Do I change white balance, aperture, ISO, shutter speed? (last photo has ISO 800, 1/90, f4.5)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rcnaylor

I had a similar problem with my Fuji. I think some cameras just don't do certain colors as well.

I never figured out a way to help it much. Lower light shots helped keep it from being as bad, and toning down color levels in editing helped, but, it just never did reds too well.

I hope someone else has found better fixes.

Bookmark   June 19, 2009 at 11:42PM
alisande

I agree with what RCNaylor said. I have a similar problem with the color green. It's not washed out, but in a shot of my yard, for instance, it can be overwhelming.

Definitely avoid bright sun, not just for shooting reds, but for just about everything. And you could try lowering the ISO. Eight hundred is pretty high, certainly higher than you need outdoors.

What photo editing program are you using? It helps a lot to have the ability to adjust hue and saturation.

Bookmark   June 20, 2009 at 11:10AM
jemdandy

The white balance may have go astray. Try white balancing your camera, and then do a test shot to see if there is an improvement.

There may be different 'white balamces' for each scene mode such as outdoor-sunny, outdoor-cloudy, indoor/incadescent light, flourescent, etc. Check your instruction manual. If there are different white balance values stored for each different scene mode, perform a white balance for each one. If only one white balance is present, it is likely the one for outdoor-sunny.

It is a good idea to perform a white balance periodically, or after each change of batteries. Often, you can tell if the white balance has gone astry by viewing the stored images on your camera's view screen. Although, the camrea's view screen can not compare to the printed image on photo papar or your computer's monitor, it is good enough to detect bad shots and fouled color balance.

Bookmark   June 28, 2009 at 12:17AM
gor-gor

I'm using the Microsoft photo editor, but it doesn't have any detail to work with. I tried working with adjusting the ISO and got a slight change, but not significant enough to be workable. I'll look into the manual to see what to do for white balance adjustment. I think I saw at one time something about holding up a white paper to adjust or set it.

Thank you for your help!

Bookmark   June 28, 2009 at 7:32PM
gor-gor

Here's some examples:

Bookmark   June 29, 2009 at 9:07PM
jemdandy

gor_gor:

A funny thing: Your 5 example shots above doesn't appear bad to me. The reds look pretty good on my monitor.

Have you looked at your shots on anything else other than your computer monitor? Have you printed out copies using the "best" settings on your printer and ink jet photo paper? If not, maybe its your monitor!

Bookmark   July 5, 2009 at 4:37AM
More Discussions
11 things that drive most photographers crazy
As I'm sure you already know by now, there are some...
JamesScott86
Miscanthus sinensis on display
I like this photo because it nicely displays my ornamental...
joyfulflowers
linear polarizing filter
Hi, I have a linear polarizing filter (make unknown)...
shakushinnen
Replace Canon G12 Powershot lens
I'm considering ordering a replacement lens for my...
oldbat2be
predator in the tall grass
Ok its just a tiny 7lb cat; but she doesn't think so....
molossermom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™