The lens broke on my ELPH - what should I replace it with?

jcrowley99June 16, 2007

My Cannon Powershot 230 Digital ELPH just died this morning. I need to replace it before next weekend because I will need a camera for a college visit. My first inclination is to just go out and buy the newest Cannon Powershot. Mine was a 3.2 mega pixel with 2X optical zoom. It used compact flash cards. I really liked it and it was very easy to use. My son (17) says I need higher resolution, better zoom, and one that uses a better memory device like a SD card. Can anyone make a suggestion? I usually like to research this type of purchase for a few weeks, but I don't have that luxury now. Thank you for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eric_wa

Hello,

I've broken two Cannon Powershot SD500. The 2" display screen cracked on both. Still using the second one on Auto only.

Eric

Bookmark   June 17, 2007 at 1:18PM
zitro_joe

The Canon A710 is nice!

Bookmark   June 17, 2007 at 8:48PM
jcrowley99

Well, I guess I answered my own question. I went out to look over cameras today and fell in love with the Sony Cybershot T100. It looks like a great camera and seems really easy to use. I called a friend of mine to see if her husband who used to work as a professional photographer could check out the specs online. He didn't have to, he owns two! I guess that is a good enough endorsement for me, I'm going to go buy one tomorrow. He even offered to help me with anything I had questions about, but he said it is so easy to use (with a couple exceptions) that I probably can figure it out with no problem. Thanks for the input.

By the way, my Elph bit the dust in an interesting way. I was showing my husband some shots I took the day before and saw my rabbit being cute from the corner of my eye. So I switched to picture mode, adjusted the zoom (before turning so she would not stop playing with the paper bag), the turned to snap the photo. When I looked it was so badly blurred it looked like the picture was melting. So I looked at the screen, and everything I looked at looked that way! Something must come have loose, a lens I guess? If I gently shake it I can hear something rattle. The guy at the shop said I must have dropped it and jarred something loose, of course it was in my hands when it suddenly went blurry. Weird! Believe it or not, I have owned it for 5 years and never dropped it, my cell phone wishes I could say the same about it!

Bookmark   June 17, 2007 at 10:56PM
More Discussions
Miscanthus sinensis on display
I like this photo because it nicely displays my ornamental...
joyfulflowers
DX or FX?
Hello all, I recently purchased a nikon d300. Im new...
andi2928
Re-introducing myself
Hi my name is Juanita- I got into photography through...
juanital
Digital or Otherwise?
Have scads of photo equipment based around a Canon...
pink_warm_mama_1
Fire in the sky
no photoshop~
JeanInWa
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™