Cutting into cabinet for rangetop after it has been installed?

amandasplitFebruary 4, 2013

Hey GWers, Just curious, did any of your GCs cut into your cabs after they were installed? Our Thermador rangetop is going to require a lot of cutting (even into the sides/frames) and I'm wondering how he can do that with the cab looking quite attached to the wall and the ones next to it. Do I need to worry?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davidahn

Only if he doesn't know what he's doing. With the proper tools and technique, the cutting isn't the problem. Cutting into the cabinet would mean structural elements will be cut out, like stretchers (spanners) and possibly the cabinet sides. If structural parts are removed, new members should be added to maintain structural soundness and to properly support the range top.

Did you recently change the range top? The cabinets should have been built to fit it without cutting.

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 2:31AM
amandasplit

Nope we ordered the cabinet that's deemed a "range top" cabinet but they leave it full height so you can cut it depending on how deep the appliance is.

I'm mainly just wondering why he installed it before cutting into it.

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 12:12AM
greendesigns_gw

You generally always install the cabinets with the false panels before cutting the false panels. That goes for a range top, farm sink, or oven cabinet. With the right tools, like a Fein, it's totally not a big deal at all. You can't cut and shim something to fit just the cabinet. How that cabinet fits in the whole run affects the adjustments.

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 7:53AM
amandasplit

Ooh, that's good to hear, Green. Thanks!

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 1:56PM
More Discussions
School me on galley kitchen layout!
So I've tried to start learning from the experts here...
red_argyle
Beam in Kitchen - Wine rack?
We are doing a kitchen remodel. We have 8 ft ceilings....
neubz
Kitchen Layout opinions
Hi, due to some plan changes (for expense reasons)...
sfstanek1
Shallow sinks?
I'm not sure if this is a thing, but I'm interested...
Lrw2a
How can I improve this layout?
How can I change this layout and still keep the sink...
houserookie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™