small item photos

abeerguynamedbillJune 15, 2009

i am trying to take pics of some wooden pens i have made but they dont look very good...any tips out there???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pfmastin

Maybe if you could post a photo, someone could make recommendations? What kind of background, lens and lighting are you using, etc?
Pam

Bookmark   June 15, 2009 at 8:19PM
abeerguynamedbill

i deleted them all...ill take some more in a couple of days when its too lousy to be outside and ill post all the details then...thanks bill

Bookmark   June 15, 2009 at 8:53PM
rcnaylor

If I am understanding your project right, the first two suggestions I would make is a camera with a good macro function and image stabilization. Especially for us amateurs who don't always use a tripod to help hold the camera still on close ups, image stabilization can make a big difference.

From there, as Pam suggests, good even lightening with no part of the picture have a lot more contrast than the other parts helps alot. in other words, a part of the picture reflecting light or catching more light than the other parts.

Also helpful, and for photographers like me who don't always get those suggestions above right too often, some photo editing software. I use Picasa because its free and does most of the straightfoward kind of stuff I like to use.

Bookmark   June 15, 2009 at 9:53PM
jemdandy

You are probably photogaphing these pens under incandescent light. The bulb type will affect the colors. A 'soft white' bulb will be different to a clear bulb. Photo floods that run at hight temperatures will produce a better spectrum of color, but none will equal daylight. Whatever your lighting source, run a color balance on your camera under the same light, or use photo editing software to shift the color balance.

When you use atrifical light, pay close attention to shadows and even distrubution of the light. Try two lamps, a lamp on each side of the subject.

Don't have a setup? Lay the pens on the glass plate of a flatbed scanner, lay the white cover on top of them, and copy. The results may surprise you.

Bookmark   June 28, 2009 at 12:38AM
More Discussions
Homemade PVC Photo Booth
I normally post in another Garden Forum, but thought...
oldalgebra
A question
I guess this is a somewhat different subject but it...
gmom74
Mojave Deserts Forgotten
This is a picture i took of a Spanish style home in...
manakay_831
linear polarizing filter
Hi, I have a linear polarizing filter (make unknown)...
shakushinnen
My digital slideshow on Utube Xmas 14
This is what I do with my digital photo's, music added...
aputernut
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™