Potatoes starting to get a bit soft. Still OK?

cynicNovember 23, 2010

I've got a 5# bag of russets that have been sitting here for a couple weeks, maybe three? It's been cooler temps here so they're not hot, they were in the kitchen, not the frig. I'm making some ribs and was going to use them but they feel slightly soft. Not squishy. They're not slimy. They're just a bit soft. Hard to describe, but they give a little, and spring back. Wondering if they're safe to use or should I go when in doubt, throw them out and let the wildlife decide whether they're compost.

I'm Nesco-ing some ribs (in a foil pouch) and tossed a few in anyway but thought I'd petition the experts and see what you think. Toss? Try?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rachelellen

As long as they aren't squishy, discolored or green, they won't poison you. They'd probably be better mashed than baked or roasted, but just being a bit soft or wrinkled isn't a problem. Even once the skin starts turning green, you're o.k. just cutting off any green. It contains an alkaloid that is mildly poisonous, but you'd have to eat a lot of it to be in any danger.

Bookmark   November 23, 2010 at 7:08PM
jasdip

Cook 'em up and mash them cynic, then invite me for dinner!

Bookmark   November 23, 2010 at 8:45PM
annie1992

Yes, they're fine. We had a root cellar when I was a kid and we were eating potatoes well into the spring. They often got a bit wrinkly and soft (not squishy soft), and Grandma just peeled 'em and boiled 'em. They were still just fine in February and March, although not as firm as when first dug.

Annie

Bookmark   November 23, 2010 at 9:21PM
cynic

I cooked 'em, and ate 'em. and they were great. Lots of butter... Thought they should be fine. And the ribs were great too. Come on over Jasdip, there's leftovers!

Thanks for the comments!

Bookmark   November 23, 2010 at 9:53PM
hawk307

cynic:
I have the same problem, because I don't use them fast enough.
So I have been buying a few Russets at a time.
But I'm always going by a Market.

If you are in a rural area, guess you have to buy 5 lb. bags.

When they get a little soft I nuke them, slice and in the fry pan with a little butter.
Makes good Southern Home Fries.

Sometimes, I make a Potato and Pepperoni Omelet.
Lou

Bookmark   November 24, 2010 at 12:14AM
More Discussions
Happy Birthday Nancy/wizardnm
A little bird just told me that today is your birthday,...
annie1992
What's For Dinner #337
Annie, you and Elery are doing a wonderful job on the...
ann_t
Aeropress coffee-science question for coffee weenies
I got an Aeropress today. Just made my first cup of...
l pinkmountain
Need Recipe Help
Need Recipe Help Our church hosts a Lenten Luncheon...
blueheron
How to make Crown Roast?
DH has invited 5 coworkers and their spouses to dinner...
dancingqueengw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™