Glaucoma - need some guidance
Our Akita was diagnosed with glaucoma about 2 years ago - in her left eye.
Along with the eye drops & oral medication, she also had laser surgery & a glaucoma valve.
We knew she was losing the sight in that eye, but otherwise hadn't had any real problems....until this past weekend, when quite suddenly she was in alot of pain - the glaucoma was in the right eye. I got the vet on the phone, increased the eye drops & gave her pain medication till we could get into the office this morning.
The pressure in both eyes was very high & she confirmed that Kita has no vision in her left eye. The pressure in the right eye was so high, they had to manually release it.
Kita is almost 10 years old now & has to be sedated just to have her eyes examined. She really doesn't like them fussing with her eyes.
My options are to have the same surgery done in the right eye (and remove the left eye) - which there is no guarantee how long that will work & wait for her to lose the sight in that eye. Then have another surgery to remove the eye.
OR - have both eyes removed now. This will take away the pain & there will be no more surgeries.
Husband & I have discussed & decided the best course is to go ahead & take both eyes now.
I'm heartbroken - the tears are dripping as I'm typing.
I don't want her to be in any more pain, but can I really take her sight?
If we do the surgery on her eye, it will require several trips back to the vet for follow up - with her being sedated for every visit. And she will lose her sight anyway.
I'm second guessing myself now - to the point where I can't think straight.
I just don't want her to be in any pain.
Am I doing the right thing?