How Deep Should Prep Sink Be?

Catharine442February 14, 2014

I will be putting in a prep sink, I am 5' 2" and my other sink is going to be an apron front with a backsplash and faucet holes on back vertical surface. White traditional/farmhouse kitchen with marble counters. My sis has a deep circular prep sink. Should I go for deep to reduce splashing on marble counters, etc.?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canuckplayer

I too am 5'2". My SIL remodeled her kitchen and put in a 11" deep undermount round prep sink. She is 5'. She hardly ever uses that prep sink now.
It is so deep, it causes us both aching backs (I am usually sous chef and clean-up when I visit), and the round shape means you can't really use it as a back up sink if needed. Nothing really fits into it, including knives and cooking/serving utensils.
When she originally chose the sink, I thought it looked so cool, but now, if I had one, the only thing I would use it for is an ice bucket when entertaining.

Bookmark   February 14, 2014 at 11:36PM
judeNY

I'm 5'3". I have a 15" round undermount stainless 7" deep prep sink. I use it all the time for prep and frequently for cleanup.

Bookmark   February 15, 2014 at 10:03PM
juliekcmo

Big enough to hold your turkey at Thanksgiving. So basically the same size as ý of a standard divided sink. This is what we had at our old house, and it was perfect.

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 8:02AM
Catharine442

So juliecmo, Thanks! Were you thawing the turkey? Do these sinks usually have plugs?

Bookmark   February 17, 2014 at 3:08PM
More Discussions
School me on galley kitchen layout!
So I've tried to start learning from the experts here...
red_argyle
So confused!!
Okay kind people I need assistance as I am overwhelmed...
Susan McGoldrick-Meerdink
Two toned kitchen love em or hate em?
I am loosing my mind. I originally wanted a dark shaker...
abick2
Kitchen reveals and DAT threads with missing photos and text
I’ve been looking at Gardenweb threads that have...
mudhouse
The perfect pad for a kitchen runner!!
I use a 12' long runner in my kitchen. It is an old...
bellsmom
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™