Promeris--how long does it stink?

Fori is not pleasedMarch 8, 2011

My mangy pup is wearing his first treatment of Promeris and it smells quite a bit (the whole house smells). It's been three hours. I'm sure it's worse for the poor little doggy, but the humans are suffering. How long does this stuff smell?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Meghane

Several days. BTW, according to most of my clients, it works great the first month, not so great the second month, and not such much at all after that.

Bookmark   March 8, 2011 at 9:50PM
Fori is not pleased

Thanks. Pee yew!

Do your clients find it stops working for the Demodex or all the critters on the label? All we need is fleas, mange, AND a smelly dog!

Bookmark   March 9, 2011 at 12:26AM
Meghane

I haven't had success in using promeris as the sole medication for demodex- I use ivermectin too. It stops working for fleas is my clients' complaint.

That smell is really bad. We got a free sample for all our pets last year and thankfully I didn't use it on my own dogs. YUCK! Like used motor oil.

Bookmark   March 9, 2011 at 10:22PM
Fori is not pleased

Thanks for the info!

Ug. They must have reformulated it. Used motor oil smell would be a blessing. Luckily after the first day the smell was mostly confined to the dog instead of permeating the whole house. The puppy is popular again! :)

Bookmark   March 10, 2011 at 3:12PM
lzrddr

I have had similar experiences with Promeris, at least as a drug for Demodex. Worked rescue for 6 years and been very disappointed how well it has worked for this mite, though I haven't noticed a problem with its activity against fleas... I too have had to go back to ivermectin. We see SO many Chihuahuas with Demodex... incredible numbers. Not sure why these dogs are so prone, but perhaps has something to do with crappy diets (and poor breeding). Now the number one resuce breed in So Cal (just edging out pit bulls).

Bookmark   March 20, 2011 at 9:50AM
More Discussions
Elsa/cystitis/vinegar
Last night I was frantically searching through messages...
ElsasMom
cats - non regenerative anemia
My 10 month old cat was diagnosed on Friday with severe...
miw-bast
Can we say G A S
And it's not me, dh or my two old dogs. It's the new...
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
dog suddenly licking snow and plants
Today, like normal, my dog woke me when she needed...
greengirlreba
Smelly dog ears
I am not used to having a long floppy eared dog (Dachshund)....
lily316
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™