white cabs + blue backsplash = always "coastal"?

baltimore_hyggeFebruary 12, 2014

We're doing a white kitchen with soapstone, wood floors, and I'm now trying to decide on backsplash. I'd like to get an MCM/scandinavian vibe to fit with the rest of our house, but am finding that all the 'inspiration' pictures on tile sites that have white kitchens and blue tile are described as 'coastal inspired'.

The closest we get to the coast is our little fishpond and our 4" goldfish. How do I steer more towards Denmark and less towards South Carolina? (And ok, Denmark and Sweden have a lot of coast :) )

thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Carrie B

I've saved a couple of white/blue kitchens to my Houzz ideabooks, I don't think it has to seem coastal! I'm planning to do a white kitchen with (some kind of color) colorful backsplash. I think the blue is lovely.

Here is a link that might be useful: White kitchen w/ blue.

Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 6:45AM
bookworm4321

It is a favorite combination of mine. I saw white tiles with blue trim, some like a Delft pattern. I wish I had taken a picture for you. I posted way back then how great they would look with Blue Pearl granite.

I don't think it is a coastal look.

Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 7:28AM
ck_squared

I don't think that combination has to always look coastal. I've seen plenty of kitchens as you describe that don't. One of my favorites is from a GWer (link below). It is similar to what you describe and turned out beautifully!

Here is a link that might be useful: amandasplit gorgeous kitchen

Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 7:52AM
nosoccermom

Blue backpainted glass

This may be coastal

But I don't think these are:

Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 9:28AM
mudhouse_gw

Totally agree with everyone. Blue is a traditional color here in the southwest, and that's about as far away as you can get from coastal inspirations; I'm considering at least some white cabinets. I'm also trying to work with MCM features in our house, and blue keeps coming up, over and over, as I look at inspiration photos.

I also think of blue/white as a Scandinavian color combo.

I think people who write copy sometimes tend to grab the easiest "hook" in their description, and "coastal inspired" is just an easy label.

Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 10:37AM
raee_gw

Great pictures above, good illustrations that it all depends on the style of the cabinets/hardware/backsplash/windows, not the colors.

Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 10:58AM
lavender_lass

Blue and white is not just coastal....it's a basic country look for Scandinavian, French, American, etc. Always cheerful and welcoming :)

Here's a link to MANY lovely kitchens...yahoo images.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 1:10PM
smalloldhouse

You should check out @rococogurl's kitchen - the backsplash is multicolored (with some blue) and she has a beautiful blue hutch. The write-up on the finished kitchens blog mentions that she was going for a Swedish vibe. Not quite Danish, I know, but close!

Here is a link that might be useful: link with a photo of rococogurl's lovely kitchen

Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 1:56PM
CEFreeman

"Coastal" is as overused as "Old World Feel."
Hmm. As is "French Provencal." Ask someone what that actually means and they have no idea. "You know. Frenchy." is what I was informed.

Go with what you want and don't feel the need to pigeon hole your space. Blues and white are clean, crisp, traditional and contemporary, and just plain beautiful.

IMHO, anything that has water outside the window can be called "coastal." Then, anywhere someone has glued sea horses, sea shells and has shower curtains with waves on them can also be called "coastal."

You pick! :)

This post was edited by CEFreeman on Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 14:41

Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 2:39PM
More Discussions
Please help me decide on kitchen wall cab elevations
We have a 10 foot sloped ceiling (10 feet where the...
veroni2413
Neolith polished Classtone?
Has anyone seen any of the new neolith classtone surfaces...
nels1678
37" or 30" cooktop?
I was planning on a 30" induction cooktop which...
12crumbles
Wolf gas range owners - would you buy Wolf again?
I posted a question on the Appliances forum last night...
kaysd
Kitchen window or no?
We are planning our new home. I am a difficult time...
kymberie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™