Question? Is this a

doris_mi5May 8, 2007

woodpecker? Or what? I don't really know.

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luvtosharedivs

Hi Doris,

I think it's a Rose-breasted Grosbeak, male.

A woodpecker would have a longer, thinner, sharper beak.

I've been hoping to see one of those in Wisconsin, but haven't yet. The Grosbeak sings like a Robin.

Thanks for sharing the photo!

Julie

Bookmark   May 8, 2007 at 8:08PM
bigack

Yep, rosey grosbeak. I've seen a couple here, they're beautiful!

Bookmark   May 8, 2007 at 9:28PM
gmom74

Nice picture. I have never seen one of those around here. I'm glad people are posting pictures again. They are all so good.

Bookmark   May 8, 2007 at 9:28PM
juanital

Yep, yep, yep--Rose breasted grosbeak! We have spotted one yesterday, but not at feeders-that would be awesome though! So cool you get them there...What do you put out to get them to come in?
Since dh has been off work for a few days, we have been bird watching around our place alot...chat-grosbeak-swallows-meadow lark-blue birds-tanagers...Downy and Red Bellied woodpecker frequent the suet cakes....We have a robin nesting on our back porch-near door-4 eggs...We use that door more now that it's getting warmer, for the most part try to avoid because of her and eggs but walking from the front to back and with all the traffic we have here not able to do so. I for one, since our dryer is on blink, I'm hanging clothes out till we get time to fix...then of course we have those annoying house sparrows...they are non natives and are quite aggressive...

juanita

Bookmark   May 9, 2007 at 6:32PM
country_bumpkin_al

Yep..a Rose Breasted Grosbeak. Last week, we had 5 males and 3 females pass through. They stayed about a week.

Bookmark   May 9, 2007 at 9:39PM
doris_mi5

Thanks everyone. Cannot recall seeing one before. I bought a big bag of bird seed at Wal-Mart and have been getting all kinds of birds.Even those I don't like. Crows and blackbirds. They're too agressive. I have been getting a baltimore oriole at the hummingbird feeder. I have a hard time getting pictures of anything I don't have a very good camera.

Bookmark   May 10, 2007 at 5:50AM
joanmn

Here they show up the same time as the hummingbirds. So far, I've only seen one, or at least one at a time. They love our sunflower seeds.
JoanMN

Bookmark   May 10, 2007 at 7:18AM
doris_mi5

Haven't seen this one since I took the picture until today. He brought a friend with him but the friend was scared of the big crows that were here so flew away but I saw a little tiny wren put it's little beak on the big beak. That was so cute.

Bookmark   May 16, 2007 at 5:05PM
Konrad___far_north

Beautiful birds,...nice pictures!
They come far north into Canada, but have never seen one.
Konrad

Bookmark   May 18, 2007 at 12:39AM
starduster

What a pretty bird. I love it's pretty colors. I've never seen one here in Michigan. I would love to see them here.

Bookmark   May 29, 2007 at 10:57AM
More Discussions
DX or FX?
Hello all, I recently purchased a nikon d300. Im new...
andi2928
Homemade PVC Photo Booth
I normally post in another Garden Forum, but thought...
oldalgebra
Replace Canon G12 Powershot lens
I'm considering ordering a replacement lens for my...
oldbat2be
Butterfly in my Garden
While working in my garden, this fella allowed me enough...
joyfulflowers
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™