Worming multi-cats (outdoor)

carmen_grower_2007March 25, 2010

I am using Pyrantel and the vet says I don't need to worry about over-dosing but this is difficult. Today, I set out separate dishes for all and put their solution on a small amount of tuna. Well, they all stuck their noses up and walked away!

Eventually, one of the cats seems to want to eat all of it. I took it away, but wonder how on earth I get this stuff down them all. They all eat outdoor-critters as well as kibble inside so I am assuming they all have worms. I often wonder if it even matters since I am sure most all wild animals have worms and live with them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
olyagrove

Get Profender if you can touch the cats. Or give each cat their dose orally - Pyrantel is easily administered, if you can restrain a cat for long enough to squirt the meds in the mouth.

You can also trap, fork - and do injectable wormer. That is what I have to do with some of my semi-ferals.

Bookmark   March 25, 2010 at 3:04PM
sylviatexas1

Let 'em skip a meal-
that always makes me eat whatever's on my plate!

Bookmark   March 25, 2010 at 5:24PM
quasifish

Long boring story, but I recently learned about using food grade diatomaceous earth for internal parasites. It's rather cheap and safe, but very effective. It is a little funny tasting (tastes like a pond to me), so I'm not sure if they would reject it- you probably couldn't feed it in kibble either- it kind of mixes into watery stuff (and should be fed for a few days). I don't know if this could help you in any way, but figured I'd mention it as a possible solution that's rather safe- if you can find a way to get it into them! Best of luck.

Bookmark   March 25, 2010 at 7:49PM
sylviatexas1

forgot about DE!

I've used DE (use food grade, not swimming pool grade, which has been processed & chemicalized & who knows what else), & have been happy with it.

I sprinkled it on top of their feed, but you could mix it with canned food or yogurt.

I always get Dannon plain, (*not* low-fat) yogurt,
since cats don't need sugar & so forth.

This kind of yogurt comes in a white carton with blue letters, & the list of ingredients is "pasteurized milk".

I get the quart size.

Best luck!

Bookmark   March 26, 2010 at 3:37PM
carmen_grower_2007

I am and always was a great fan of DE. I use it monthly along with kelp meal mixed with of tuna for the cats. But -- they still have worms occasionally. Maybe, the DE needs to be in their food more often, but I hate to give the cats tuna too often and they won't eat anything else with it on there.

Still -- DE is great in the ears for mites and in the fur for fleas and ticks! We always bought it in 25# bags for the chickens when we had them and still have plenty, so we use it regularly.

Bookmark   March 26, 2010 at 4:14PM
More Discussions
Smelly dog ears
I am not used to having a long floppy eared dog (Dachshund)....
lily316
Excellent Animal Hospital in New England?
We are happy with our vet (actually vets, she has a...
sue36
Help with death on my dog
perianal fistula disease. Does anyone have experience...
ronminsouthga
help with my pet
Hello, My name is Janet, owner of a 3 yr old male Blue...
janet1971
It's 2015....time for a new post about Vaccuum cleaners for Pet hair!!
Exciting, I know!! :). I searched and the most recent...
magsnj
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™