Crockpot Mashed Potatoes?

doucanoeNovember 21, 2011

Seems to me some of you have posted that you do mashed potatoes for a crowd and keep them warm in a crockpot. I did try to do a quick search and came up with a billion cookalong threads that I tried to scroll past. In the end it just seemed easier to ask about it!

I know one could make up the mashed, place them in a crockpot on low, but I wonder how one would keep them from drying out and losing their "fluff"? And how far in advance should I put them in the crockpot so they stay warm but don't "re-cook"?

Who has done this and please share your method! Thanks!

Linda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
centralcacyclist

I did this last year. I have an older crock pot that doesn't get overly hot like the new ones. I made them right before I left for the host's home and put them in the crock pot to serve there. Plugged it in. They were fine for several hours while the other food was made ready. I used a recipe with cream cheese, butter and sour cream.

Bookmark   November 21, 2011 at 6:58PM
susytwo

I use my slow cooker to keep the mashed potatoes warm.

I make them the night before with a potato ricer, using butter, milk and sour cream.

From the fridge, they usually need about 3 hours on med-low, until they're warm enough to eat.

Bookmark   November 21, 2011 at 10:18PM
jeri

Me too!

I too add sour cream and cream cheese - I'm not sure, but I think these ingredients are what allows it to stay creamy and fluffy when made ahead and reheated. I also use 2 sticks of butter so that everyone loves them even without gravy!

I find that 3 hours on low is enough to re-heat 5 lbs and then I can turn it to warm for even longer.

Bookmark   November 22, 2011 at 12:50PM
doucanoe

Thanks! I looked at that Pioneer Woman recipe but holy moly....butter, cream cheese AND cream??? Don't think my girlish figure could handle all that! LOL

I'll add some sour cream and maybe a tad of chicken broth to keep them moist.

Linda

Bookmark   November 22, 2011 at 2:23PM
dgkritch

Works great! They don't dry out. The crockpot keeps them "steamed" on warm. No worries!

I just use skim milk and some butter in mine.

Deanna

Bookmark   November 22, 2011 at 6:40PM
More Discussions
Why can't they leave things alone?
I really don't have the time nor the energy to learn...
doucanoe
BISCUITS
Just made these biscuits, but felt they weren't worth...
Robert Givens
Curry (I think) flavored coffee cake
My boss's friend shared a coffee cake, or fruit cake...
sally2_gw
Where is the canning forum now? :(
I'm not finding the canning forum. Can someone help...
gardnpondr
Happy Birthday Nancy/wizardnm
A little bird just told me that today is your birthday,...
annie1992
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™