I have a camera question..I need help

Linda WaymanMay 3, 2010

Hello, I don't think I've ever posted here, but I recognize a few names from other GW forums.

The past two weeks when I've put photos from my Canon Digital Rebel XT onto Photobucket they have taken forever to load. I had never had a problem with Photobucket before, although I've heard a lot of others complain about problems. I tried to post some photos of a tournament on a message board and they were huge. I went back to PB and checked the properties. It showed every picture was approximately 2240 x 1493 instead of the usual 640 x 480 that it has been for years. I looked and looked for a place to resize the photos as a group, but couldn't find one. I resized them one at a time and I had over 200 photos. That took a long time.

I had some more photos to upload yesterday from another tournment. I decided to use Firefox to upload them to PB to see if that made a difference. It didn't. They are still huge.

My question,actually, two qusetions, are is there a setting that I may have in-advertently changed on my camera to cause this problem or does anyone here know of a way to change the sizes of the huge photos at Photobucket to the preferred size?

Thank you for any suggestions you have concerning this problem.

Linda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alisande

Hi Linda,

I'm not sure I'm going to be much help, but here goes. The 2240 x 1493 is an appropriate size for images coming out of your camera. You wouldn't want to change them to 640 x 480 in the camera because you wouldn't be able to print them at that resolution.

So the question becomes whether or not Photobucket automatically resizes them upon uploading. I wasn't aware that they ever did this, but they must have if you remember uploading without resizing.

I keep a folder on my desktop of resized photos for emailing and uploading to Photobucket and Flickr. I've never tried to upload a full-size file. However, it's easy to resize photos that are already on Photobucket. Just click on Edit (right above the image), then Resize, and follow the instructions. There's a preset 640 x 480 that you can use if you like.

Hope this helps.

Susan

Bookmark   May 3, 2010 at 12:05PM
Linda Wayman

Hi Susan, thanks for the reply. A few years ago I used to reaize my photos to post them at KT and other forums, then one day I didn't have to anymore. I think they were actually a little larger than 640 x 480, but whatever they were, they worked just fine on the forums without me resizing. The past couple of weeks they have been so large that you can only see a portion of each one at a time when posted. I was hoping I had accidently changed a setting on my camera that caused it since I couldn't find a place at PB to preset the sizes.

I've been resizing them one by one at PB, but with these tournaments there are usually a couple of hundred or more to post at a time for the Taekwondo web site. It just takes so long to do it the way I'm doing it. I don't know why it changed, but I miss the old way.
Thanks again my friend.

Linda

Bookmark   May 3, 2010 at 1:44PM
alisande

I know people do batch resizing in Photoshop and other photo editing programs, but I don't know how......

Bookmark   May 3, 2010 at 2:26PM
Linda Wayman

Just to let you know, I heard from Photobucket. I use the paid version. They told me that they recently updated the paid version and at that time set my default size setting at 4000 x 3000. They also told me that the place to set the sizes is just under where you click to upload a photo. It's listed as other options. Mystery solved.

Thanks again Susan for responding to my post.
Linda

Bookmark   May 6, 2010 at 6:12AM
alisande

Good to know, Linda. Ever the cheapo, I use the free version. (However, I do pay for Flickr Pro!) Glad you got it straightened out.

Bookmark   May 6, 2010 at 8:57AM
More Discussions
Fire in the sky
no photoshop~
JeanInWa
A question
I guess this is a somewhat different subject but it...
gmom74
Mojave Deserts Forgotten
This is a picture i took of a Spanish style home in...
manakay_831
My digital slideshow on Utube Xmas 14
This is what I do with my digital photo's, music added...
aputernut
Some of my garden photography
Hi!!!! I didn't know there was a photography forum...
Desirai
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™