What is this artifact?

jenswrensMay 31, 2008

This is not my house - it is a photo I borrowed from the web to show artifact. Do you see it? What is it called?

My question is: did this artifact come from the camera itself or did it happen during post-processing or uploading? This was taken with a Nikon D40, and a lot of photos I looked at (on the web) from that camera had this artifact. If it's from the camera, it's unacceptable to me.

I also saw it in photos taken with the Rebel XT, XTi and G3. I mostly see it in the interior shots - which is what I'm wanting to shoot better, hence my search for a new camera. The thing is, I don't remember ever noticing it in photos taken with my little P&S, so I'm wondering if it's from uploading or the SLRs or what. Here's another example:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

What exactly are seeing? "Artifact" is a very generic term in digital photography, if I want to be picky I can find several artifacts in those pictures. Just asking...

However, in the first picture what jumps out at me is the picture distortion. That is caused by the barrel effect. I didn't try to look at the exif data, but this most likely the kit lens. Kit lenses, as good as they may be sometimes, are usually in the lower end in the quality line. (1)The focal length is probably at it's widest length, that is where the barrel effect is most noticeable. (2) The angle of the picture, the picture was not taken in the middle of the room so he/she is closer to on wall than another. It is amplifying the effect of the distortion.


    Bookmark   May 31, 2008 at 1:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

At first, I thought "artifact" as in an archaeological or historical item. Then, I read Zjoe's comments and understood what you meant.

A digital SLR camera is capable of using interchangeable lens. A very wide lens normally creates piture distortion as Zjoe explained. If you don't want it, then simply use a normal zoom range lens.

As for the 2nd photo, are you talking about the blurred background? If you are, it is done so the subject is stand out and is the focus point of the photo. This shot is achieved by setting a small aperture to show a less depth of field (DOF). Again, if you want a long depth of field which shows more background, simply set the aperture to a higher number.

Basically, both photos were probably taken intentionally "as is" and it's not a download or digitized effect.

With a digital SLR, you can pretty much do whatever you want with it. That is for mostly, with the companion of whaterever lens and flash you'd be using.

Sorry, I don't know if I helped you or not. Perhaps, you'd need to be more specific with what area of the photo you meant by "artifact".


    Bookmark   June 2, 2008 at 11:51PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Miscanthus sinensis on display
I like this photo because it nicely displays my ornamental...
error message 01 on Canon T4i
We have three of these cameras. 2 are getting the error...
Looking for rubber caps for tripod
We have a telescope that's on an old wooden tripod....
Replace Canon G12 Powershot lens
I'm considering ordering a replacement lens for my...
here are some bird pictures
I have a Nikon 5100 and 2 zoom lens one I use for the...
Sponsored Products
78 94" Patio Garden Stone Mosaic Marble Dining Table - TAMPA
Disk Coffee Table in Black
$259.00 | LexMod
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Concord Global Trading Rugs Ankara Oushak
Home Depot
Yosemite Full/Queen-size Rustic White Cedar Log Lodge-style Solid Wood Headboard
Apple Dumpling 32-Oz. Wax Crumble Bag
$24.99 | zulily
Barbosa Outdoor Flushmount by Troy Lighting
$438.00 | Lumens
Magic Garden Dress Up Valet Rack with 4 Hangers
Classic Hostess
Weber Stainless Steel 3-Piece Barbecue Tool Set - 6630
$34.99 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™