photo printer

phrogMay 3, 2009

Has photo inkjet print quality improved in the last decade?

I have an Epson Stylus Photo 870 inkjet, 6 colors, that's about 9 years old.

I've been considering upgrading to a Canon Pixma Pro9000, so I can do larger prints, but I wonder how the images themselves will compare.

Is it just a size upgrade, or a significant quality upgrade too?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alisande

I spent a lot of time on the printing forum at DPReview and read many complaints about Epson inks drying up and clogging if the printer isn't used every day. I also read lots of high praise for the Canon 9000 (and it gets great reviews on Amazon and elsewhere).

I considered that model, as well as a big HP, but decided to wait and do my better prints with mpix.com for now.

I don't know how the images will compare for you because I'm not familiar with your original printer.

Bookmark   May 3, 2009 at 10:58AM
phrog

Yes, I haven't had any luck finding articles on the topic of whether PQ in general has improved over the years.

Bookmark   May 3, 2009 at 3:28PM
alisande

Well, they have better types of inks now, but some are specific to certain printers. I didn't pay too much attention to those discussions because I was primarily interested in greyscale. My focus was on my dad's negatives from the 1940s.

But from the reputation of your new printer, I'd say chances are you'll be more than pleased with the output.

Bookmark   May 3, 2009 at 10:08PM
phrog

The interesting thing is that every high-end printer I read about gets lots of praise but also some very negative comments. There are people who claim the 9000 failed on the first day or was DOA.

Hard to know if it's poor QC at the factory, or misuse by the owner.

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 4:29AM
alisande

I'm sure that's a factor. This sort of thing seems to be common with a lot of electronics. I certainly encountered it when I was shopping for a scanner. I try to keep in mind that people are more likely to be motivated to post a review if they are unhappy with the product. That tends to skew the ratings.

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 9:49AM
More Discussions
Butterfly in my Garden
While working in my garden, this fella allowed me enough...
joyfulflowers
Help with old photos from a Kodak digital camera
I recently found several old floppy discs that I had...
don_na_na
Mojave Deserts Forgotten
This is a picture i took of a Spanish style home in...
manakay_831
19 most expensive photographs ever sold
Here's a cool article listing (and showing) the top...
JamesScott86
Some of my garden photography
Hi!!!! I didn't know there was a photography forum...
Desirai
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™