Help! Pre Bake Crust?

dancingqueengwNovember 21, 2012

I've made the Cooks Illustrated pie crust and it is chilling in the refrigerator. I'm making a double crust apple apricot pie. Do I pre bake the bottom crust? The Cooks Illustrated pie crust says to bake it but the recipe from Food and Wine seems to not call for pre baking.???????

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wizardnm

I don't pre bake a double crust fruit pie. Just make sure it sits a little lower than the middle of the oven.

My pie is in the oven right now..

Nancy

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 6:14PM
azzalea

You can get away without prebaking your crust if you bake your pie in a ceramic pan (do NOT turn the temp back 25 degress as one normally does for pyrex), and bake on the lowest shelf in the oven. I find that works every time. You want the bottom of the pan to get hot (close to the bottom) and stay hot (ceramic/pyrex pan) so as to cook the bottom crust well.

Another trick I use--I cover the edges of the pie with foil before it goes into the oven, rather than waiting until they're starting to brown. I find that by the time the pie is done, the edges are just perfect, too.

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 7:10PM
lindac

For a double crust fruit pie, I use a glass or pottery pie dish and turn the oven down to 325 without opening the
door,,,put the pie in the bottom 1`/3 of the oven and start at 425 for 20 minutes, then turn to 325 without opening the door and bake another 25 minutes.

Bookmark   November 22, 2012 at 3:10PM
More Discussions
Apologies to St. Patrick
Not even the corned beef was done the traditional way....
dcarch7
Tried And True "Edible" Brownie Recipe? (Where Legal)
Here is a cooking question, more specifically a baking...
johnliu_gw
Inspire Me PLEASE!
I am currently on a very restrictive “life style...
moosemac
I'm a corned beef virgin
I was at Sam's club today and they had nice looking...
Holly- Kay
Cool feature I've just noticed (OT)
Has anyone else noticed that you can click on a picture...
sally2_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™