What do you wash the litter pans with

reneenyMarch 15, 2011

Ive been using Clorxa Clean up. It smells like bleach. I know not to use Windex cause of the amonina smell....ha, ha, catching on

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cat_mom

Water, bleach, and dish soap. We've always used that combo, and they use it at the animal shelter I volunteer at, as well.

Bookmark   March 15, 2011 at 8:03AM
quasifish

I use Simple Green and let it dry for a few hours in direct sunlight too. We have 2 boxes so it's no problem to be without one for a few.

Bookmark   March 15, 2011 at 10:21AM
annzgw

Are you rinsing it well after cleaning? I've read that the plastic litter boxes, over a period of time and from cat scratches, break down and will start holding odors. May be time to just replace it.

Bookmark   March 15, 2011 at 12:32PM
two25acres

We have 11 cats, don't use ordinary litter boxes instead we use xtra large tubs we get at Tractor and supply. 2 are kept in the basement where 10 cats sleep. Down there we use fine wood shavings along with cedar shavings on the bottoms. Upstairs we use litter/have a diabetic cat that requires injections 2x's daily. When we power wash the boxes I soak them with vinegar and some water for an hour or so, rinse then fine spray with water and vinegar. The tubs we get are really great, wouldn't go back to litter boxes at all. Now if we could afford 4-5 of the automatics, that would be different.

Bookmark   March 15, 2011 at 4:51PM
sylviatexas1

Plastic does get pitted, but you can keep it out of the landfill for a while by sealing it with a floor sealer or with paste wax.

Bookmark   March 15, 2011 at 8:46PM
quasifish

About the plastic absorbing stink over time: I had one that I retired for that very reason. I used it in the utility yard for potting soil and various yard activities like that. After about a year of exposure to the elements/soil/etc, the smell seemed to have lifted from the plastic and it could be used as a litter box again if needed.

Bookmark   March 16, 2011 at 12:50PM
stir_fryi

I just empty the litter, and use a scrub brush, water and a squirt of dish soap.

I have never noticed any odor and just replaced a five year old box.

Bookmark   March 23, 2011 at 9:41AM
More Discussions
How to get my new cat to stop fighting old/current cats
I posted a few weeks ago for advice on introducing...
phish_gw
Does anyone have a spayed dog that has a brownish discharge?
I came to this Forum to ask your opinions about something...
pickyshopper
Anyone had a problem with 'DreamBones' dog snack?
Has anyone had any problems with a dog snack called...
cas66ragtop
Housetrained dog having accidents in the house!
My dog is about 2 and 1/2 years old and is housetrained...
bookworm_2007
Poison Control link
Some time ago Christine shared the following link to...
socks
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™