Gray lamp shades, turn yellow when lit?? help?

mom2sethcMarch 20, 2014

Hello,

I just bought new lamps that have gray silk shades. When the lamps are off, the shades are gray, when the lamps are on, they turn yellow!!
What kind of bulb can I use so that the shades appear gray when lit? Is there any hope?
The lamp specs call for a candelabra 60 watt bullb.
Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tibbrix

Try a blue bulb.

60 watt candelabra bulb?? Only means you shouldn't go higher than that wattage, but you can go lower.

You can also try a Sylvania "Day light bulb" and see if that helps. Something like these:

Here is a link that might be useful: full spectrum bulbs

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 10:03

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 9:57AM
NHBabs

Do the bulbs show or can you use something other than a candelabra bulb? Both compact fluorescents and LEDs can be found with less yellow and more blue in the light color, and I know that there are CFLs with a bulb-shaped outer covering. I'd also check the color of the liner on your shades if it isn't the same fabric as the outside. If it has any yellow to it, there will always be some yellow tone to the light coming through the shades.

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 10:28AM
mom2sethc

Hello,

The bulbs do not show, we did try a CFL and it still appeared yellow. We also tried a clear glass bulb and a regular incand bulb, same yellow hue.
The inside of the shades are white.
I'l check out the bulbs Tibbrix suggested.
I can live with the yellow hue as my walls are yellow, so they work with the room, however I would prefer to have them look gray!

Thanks!

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 12:20PM
Fun2BHere

That tends to happen unless your shades are lined with a material that blocks the light from showing through. Unfortunately, that sort of shade means that the only light throw is above and below the shade which may not be enough illumination in your room.

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 6:06PM
mom2sethc

Hello,

Fun2BHere - yes, I agree, I'm not sure that the lamps give us enough light. What type of shade should I look for that would illuminate better? White shades?
We have 2 of these lamps on a sofa table behind our loveseat, we'll also be hanging a chandelier in the room.
But I do plan to read by these lamps.

Thanks!

Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 8:27AM
More Discussions
Broyhill lamps -- help!
A couple weeks ago I saw some lamps made by Broyhill...
tammy518
If you need patio set... awesome deal
http://www.spoofee.com/7-piece-garden-oasis-harrison-dining-set/deals/866315I...
sheilaaus122
Do all decorative vases need flowers?
Just moved and trying to decorate new home. I bought...
eppe4
Bright solid or bold print to reupholster settees?
Anyway, I bought a pair of vintage settees for my 'formal'...
sloedjinn
kitchen cabinets --- minimizing regrets
the GIVENS; small L-shaped kitchen is part of small...
mainewire
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™