Rottie turned Evil ,had to be put down

toomuchglassFebruary 27, 2011

My friend rescued a 4 year old rottie that was beaten and abused . He was 30 pounds underweight and had some medicsl issues . After a week of love - that dog was the biggest teddy bear I've ever seen. He was so smart and so funny and gentle with other dogs and other animals .He was HUGE - and kept trying to be a lap dog. "Slobber" was his middle name. LOL After a year and a half ,Mary started noticing a change in his eyes.She couln't explain it - it was just a different soul staring out at her. Within a week --his behavior just took a sudden turn . He started attacking his best friend - the cat. Then he started bolting at people walking by ( got his body almost all the way through the screen door ,too )The final act was biting the mailman. Mary & DH had to have him put down . He was only 6 and a half years old. What could explain the change in this gentle soul ? Maybe a brain tumor ? Pain? I'm devistated to hear that - he was my best pal . Do you know of this happening to anyone else ?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spedigrees z4VT

I knew a lady once whose Belgian sheepdog underwent a similar personality change in the last year of his life. She couldn't have peace of mind without knowing why her beloved companion for so many years became an aggressive stranger, so she had him autopsied and they found a large brain tumor.

On the other hand, a victim of abuse may lash out once he is in a secure setting. Post traumatic stress syndrome affects animals as well as humans.

Bookmark   February 27, 2011 at 11:19PM
mazer415

Could be a brain tumor, could have been heart trouble could have been a parasite he picked up while on the streets....So sorry you and your friends had so little time with him...Fo the future you or someone you know has this kind of thing going on, take the pet to the vet ASAP dont wait and always try and have a necropsy done - that way the owners can prove the animal was not acting appropriately due to a medical condition....

Bookmark   February 28, 2011 at 12:46AM
Elly_NJ

Mazar, that's what I thought. I have heard this many times with brain tumors.

So sad for the family.

Bookmark   February 28, 2011 at 11:11AM
pamghatten

So sad for you and the family. You were given good advise here, things I didn't know that I'll mentally file away for future reference.

Bookmark   February 28, 2011 at 12:43PM
ilovedobies

So sorry to hear this. Did your friend bring her dog to the vet to find out what was wrong? Sometimes a low thyroid is the problem, some dogs become aggressive but the meds usually help them. My neighbours GS was getting old and became aggressive. She took him in for testing and he did have a brain tumor.

Bookmark   March 1, 2011 at 3:03AM
debd18

I also knew someone whose sweet dog suddenly became aggressive due to a brain tumor.

Bookmark   March 1, 2011 at 8:04AM
trianglejohn

They can also suffer from mental illness just like a human. People that have severe mental problems and commit horrible crimes aren't that way their entire lives - sometimes the disease progresses slowly and sometimes fast. There is a million reasons an animal can suddenly change personality and be dangerous.

Bookmark   March 1, 2011 at 1:47PM
More Discussions
loose aggressive dog on walk, need help
i need helpful advice about aggressive dog in neighborhood....
adoiron
ACL tear in dog's knee
Hi everyone, Our dog Maggie was just diagnosed with...
Pinky920
dry food for cats that can't eat dry food ;)
Howdy all, There seems to be a lot of experience here...
GWgal
How to approach neighbors re: horrendous dog poo smell?
I'm sorry if this post is long, but I'm trying to give...
loralee_2007
Found baby bird with bald spot
Hi! There's a lot of maya birds in our area and this...
makoto
Sponsored Products
Rottweiler Personalized Throw Pillow - PIL-NJH-XFIL
$49.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™