Getting a rug to stay put on carpet

sashasmommyMarch 10, 2011

We need to put an area rug in front of the door to protect the carpet. When I did this in my old house, I tried using that sticky backing so that it wouldn't move, but it still worked its way crooked little by little and then straightening it was not easy because of the sticky thing. What are your tricks to keeping the rug in place when it's on carpet and people are walking on it alot?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kristine_2009

I have been looking at rug pads for 2 days for my hardwood floors. In my searches, I noticed some pads made specifically for carpet. Here is a link to some

Here is a link that might be useful: Rug pad for carpet

Bookmark   March 10, 2011 at 10:40AM
itltrot

Ours for the most part doesn't move. There is just one spot that bunches up in front of the couch where the dog always lays. So I haven't used anything yet.

Now don't laugh to much....my mother got tired of her area rug walking on her carpet so she stapled it to the floor. Yes, stapled. And it didn't help the problem. Some days I question her thinking. LOL

Bookmark   March 10, 2011 at 11:20AM
sashasmommy

I'm not laughing, I actually considered that!!! Good to know it doesn't work.

Bookmark   March 10, 2011 at 11:27AM
Sujafr

We have a large area rug and it was wrinkling a bit (moving) on the carpet, so we were told by the rug salesman to add a rug pad. We bought the one he recommended and there's no more wrinkling/moving.

Bookmark   March 10, 2011 at 1:55PM
lesterd

There are pads for rugs on carpet and there are different pads for rugs on floor. Make sure you get the right kind.

Bookmark   March 10, 2011 at 2:09PM
tabbaldwin

I just researched this--how to get my new area rugs (I'm in a new house with hardwood floors for the first time ever) to stay put on top of their pads since the ones in my kitchen try to walk off the pad. Anyway, the answer I've found is CARPET TAPE. I haven't tried it yet--just last night found the answer (or what I hope is the answer). It's double-sided. I found some listed on amazon.com. Now to research which brand to try......

Bookmark   March 10, 2011 at 4:12PM
sashasmommy

Thanks for all the input... tracey, please try to post a reply to this post when you decide which kind you're going to get! Thanks!

Bookmark   March 10, 2011 at 9:35PM
tabbaldwin

This one seems to have the most reviewers, mostly saying good things. It'll probably be the one I try. I'll let you know..........(if I can remember by then!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Intertape 9970 Indoor Carpet Tape

Bookmark   March 10, 2011 at 9:54PM
More Discussions
Do you have a blog?
Not sure what the houzz rules are (snicker at myself...
the_foxes_pad
Front door color advice
I am buying a new front door (textured steel) to replace...
j1plante
There has been much lighting talk… thought I'd share my new chandy's
We are trying to wrap up our new build. Still a way...
aktillery9
Appliances in. Please help me pick lights.
(It’s me. I've wanted to change my name for a while...
misformink
Am I looking for a soft buttery yellow or a soft buttery white?
I've the itch to paint my living area a soft yellow...something...
happyintexas
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™