Decorative Storage Solutions Anyone?

justgotabmeMarch 4, 2011

I know we've had a few conversations this past week about storing kids toys and finding the right size basket to fill a cubby and awhile back on lined wire baskets so when I came across these tutorials on making your own wire baskets and linings that I thought I'd share the links.

Ballard and PB Inspired Wire Wall Basket

Example:

"W" is for Wire

Example:

I so need to get to Ho De and get me some hardware cloth! Already have the canvas to make the linings.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Oakley

I've got a lot of baskets, etc., but one day I was reading a magazine and they had solid color boxes on bookshelves in a living room.

I ordered two large green cardboard boxes and they're on the top shelf in the booknook which is painted white. I love it! I keep pictures in them.

These boxes are very durable and should last a lifetime.

Here is a link that might be useful: Storage boxes

Bookmark   March 4, 2011 at 1:52PM
DLM2000

Word of warning: when you cut hardware cloth you are left with VERY sharp ends. And since hardware cloth wants to curl back on itself it can be very hard to stay out of the way of those ends. I use this product in my garden all the time and have bled more than you want to know from it! Works best to have 2 people involved in the cutting. one standing on it one cutting - and WEAR WORK CLOVES

Bookmark   March 4, 2011 at 3:07PM
DLM2000

CLOVES??? how about gloves! oops

Bookmark   March 4, 2011 at 3:09PM
justgotabme

Oakley those are awesome, but you can't always find just the right size you are looking for in premade baskets and containers. I love the wood grain ones on the link though.

Good point (no pun intended) Deb I didn't read tutorials so I didn't realize they didn't mention that. Good heavy duty (suede or leather) work gloves are a must. Not always a bad idea to have a helper either.

Bookmark   March 4, 2011 at 3:38PM
Oakley

Baskets and containers come in all sizes possible. Are you looking for something specific?

I wish I could remember where I got these but I bought three sizes white square baskets lined with cloth. I use the largest in the living room as a toybox for when the grandkids come over.

Bookmark   March 4, 2011 at 4:28PM
justgotabme

Yes I am Oakleyok, but I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for them either. Right now I'd prefer the big bucks go toward finishing our home.
I have a hall tree with bench and cubbies that measure 10.5"tall by 14"wide (across front) and 17"deep. I've found some pretty close, but usually not deep enough. I have a couple lined wicker baskets there now, but they're short and a bit too narrow. I thought about making wooden boxes with oblong holes as handles, until I saw this idea.

Bookmark   March 4, 2011 at 5:26PM
deeinohio

Thanks for the link, justgotabme! DH is building a cabinet for the laundry room and I needed baskets to hold some items, but I'll need custom since the cabinet was built narrow for our needs. This may just fit the bill.
Dee

Bookmark   March 4, 2011 at 6:48PM
justgotabme

You're welcome Dee. I thought they might be handy for a lot of us with special spaces we needed baskets for. I was going to head into the city today to get some hardware clothe but hubby woke me early and I was just too sleepy to drive.

Bookmark   March 4, 2011 at 10:56PM
overhear

I am desperately seeking storage baskets for some odd-sized shelves and stumbled upon this thread. Specifically, I need baskets that are 19D x 12W x 6H to hold clothes in an armoire. Can anyone tell me if hardware cloth is stiff enough that a basket that size would hold its shape when filled with clothes?

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 12:21PM
DLM2000

You would not want clothing in contact with hardware cloth - if the baskets were lined like the second picture above, it would work. But whatever you have them on will get scratched up quickly pulling them in and out. Turn your dimensions around and look for baskets that are 19" W x 12" D and you are much more likely to find what you need - then just put them on your shelves the way you need them. Have you checked Container Store? ALso check frequently at Home Goods TJMaxx & Marshalls. How about Ikea, if you have one close by - I've found great storage items there.

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 2:05PM
More Discussions
Colored crystal chandelier
Does anyone have good pics of colored crystal chandys?...
bossyvossy
Have you used BM Etiquette?
I need to repaint my master bath. I'm considering...
sreedesq
Latex Foam Mattress Toppers You Love
I'm not asking about memory foam or any other foam...
catkinZ8a
What wall color with these woods?
Helping a friend on her bedroom. Right now the wall...
debrak_2008
Budget kitchen remodel
We relocated to a new state, and bought this home last...
reallymelanie
Sponsored Products
Lea Wall Sconce by Bover
$937.00 | Lumens
Tendril Wall-Mount Hose Holder
Signature Hardware
Virgo 2-door Wall Cabinet
Overstock.com
My Owner's Box Cubeits Sports Storage Organizer - 51006002GCOLG
$99.99 | Hayneedle
Chrome Axis Double Towel Bar
$7.99 | zulily