Alaska Cruise Photo Advice?

solstice98March 16, 2007

It's not a sure thing yet, but it looks like I'll be doing a family cruise to Alaska in August. I use a Canon A85. I'm not very used to shooting in rainy, misty conditions and don't know anything about shooting from a ship. I expect there to be lots of vibration from the ship's engines, but don't know how to counter that. No tripod, for a start, I guess!

Any advice on shooting in low, flat light?

Any advice on shooting from a cruise ship?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
abr4xii

Don't be overly concerned about engine vibration.
Stay away from the aft third of the ship and vibration will be minimal. Having said that I still wouldn't use a tripod.
Ship roll shouldn't be a problem in protected water either but it wouldn't hurt to lean on/against something and try to take your shots at the top or bottom of the roll...if the ship is rolling enough to seriously interfere with picture taking you'll be too busy looking for your Dramamine.

Bookmark   March 17, 2007 at 5:11PM
joanmn

Yes, in open seas, waves are a bigger problem than engines. Mist and clouds can be beautiful to photograph. Just take your camera everywhere with you and take advantage of every shot you have a chance to get. Better to take tons and have some bad ones than miss out on what might have been a great one!
And most of all, enjoy!
(When you go on a daytrip off the ship, the clouds/fog don't seem to burn off until about 2 p.m. So plan on staying all day if you want to actually see much! So much to do, and all so beautiful.
JoanMN/FL

Bookmark   March 21, 2007 at 1:28PM
carol_in_california

If you are photographing snow or glaciers you will need to check your white balance......set it on the one for snow.
Or read your camera manual about white balance and snow.

Bookmark   March 22, 2007 at 11:12PM
More Discussions
Mojave Deserts Forgotten
This is a picture i took of a Spanish style home in...
manakay_831
My digital slideshow on Utube Xmas 14
This is what I do with my digital photo's, music added...
aputernut
linear polarizing filter
Hi, I have a linear polarizing filter (make unknown)...
shakushinnen
Re-introducing myself
Hi my name is Juanita- I got into photography through...
juanital
error message 01 on Canon T4i
We have three of these cameras. 2 are getting the error...
jeaninwa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™