true but not true

clairdo2February 5, 2008

Why is it that when you take a picture of a lake it looks so blue when it's not close to being blue. Not that I don't like it, i think the pictures are always nicer then the real thing but just wondering why ...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Konrad___far_north

The same goes with blue sky.

This got me thinking too when leaping into the digital world about 2 years ago.
It's all about enhancing colors, easy done in digital, I.M.O. it's way overdone! I guess most people like
this, that's why the manufactures do it, no touch up or editing needed.
Some cameras, like my Canon Rebel XT, I can preset colors, sharpness etc. to a degree to my liking.
Konrad

Bookmark   February 5, 2008 at 9:36PM
rcnaylor

My thought is that it is ultimately a representation. Its not like putting the scene in a copier and hitting copy.

Also, even with editing, my experience (with my ability and equipment) is that the scene is usually not as beautiful as the naked eye catches it anyway. So, personally, I don't feel editing it to try to get it closer to visual impact it had is bad in any way.

Like with any other effort by us humans, some will have the knowledge, experience and skill to do it better and some won't have quite as pleasing of results.

And, even that is like a taste test between coke and pepsi. Some will like more color and some less.

Lastly, I've had three digital cameras. My experience is that the better the equipment, the less editing has to be done to get a nice rendition of the scene.

Bookmark   February 6, 2008 at 9:29AM
rcnaylor

As Konrad alludes to, you can tone down the color both in the camera and with even modest photo editing software.

But, like you say, most camera manufacturers set the colors a little high because most buyers like that in their pictures. It sells more cameras.

Bookmark   February 6, 2008 at 9:33AM
More Discussions
Looking for rubber caps for tripod
We have a telescope that's on an old wooden tripod....
mrsgym
Miscanthus sinensis on display
I like this photo because it nicely displays my ornamental...
joyfulflowers
kentuck_8b
error message 01 on Canon T4i
We have three of these cameras. 2 are getting the error...
jeaninwa
Fire in the sky
no photoshop~
jeaninwa
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™