what to buy

firstlastbuildFebruary 28, 2010

I want to purchase my fist real camera. I currently use a Sony Cybershot. I want to be able to take sports pics (baseball, basketball, soccer), wildlife and children. I have never been able to take good baseball pics. I have very limited photography knowledge at this time. I want a camera that will last because this is a splurge! I won a raffle; otherwise I would never justify the purchase. It has to be less that $500. Also, I need to know if I need an additional lense to take the pictures. Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
firstlastbuild

I am looking at the Canon EOS Rebel XS DSLR with 18-55mm IS Lens. Is this a nice camera?

Thanks!

Bookmark   March 2, 2010 at 8:25AM
crunchpa

If you are talking about stadium photos, one of the high zoom point and shoots works well. Some venues don't allow larger cameras. You can get some great shots from the cheap seats with the new high zoom P&S's. I enjoy sports photos and have taken many.

Bookmark   March 3, 2010 at 6:41PM
firstlastbuild

I want to take sports photos of my kids--baseball, basketball, soccer and horses.

Bookmark   March 3, 2010 at 10:21PM
alisande

If you go to the DPReview site (www.dpreview.com) and click on Discussion Forums at the left, and then go to the Beginners Questions forum, you'll find lots of questions and answers about Canon DSLRs, including the one you're looking at.

Although the DPReview members consistently recommend DSLRs over every other kind of camera, I sometimes question the wisdom of that advice. Too many people think DSLRs are going to take great pictures out of the box, whereas a considerable amount of learning is almost always required to get good shots from a DSLR.

I'm concerned that you, with "very limited photography knowledge," might find a DSLR overwhelming. I have extensive experience with photography, but.........Well, here's what I wrote in answer to someone else's question recently:

After a lifetime of using 35mm SLRs, I thought I'd have no trouble adjusting to my first DSLR. Wrong! I really need to put some time into reading the manual (more than once) and working on this.

I find myself reaching for my Panasonic Lumix superzoom most of the time because I know it's going to give me the results I want. I'm not sorry I bought the DSLR; it was something I would have to do at some point. But if I could afford it, I'd also get the latest version of my Panasonic.

So....... I can recommend the Panasonic Lumix FZ35 superzoom. The price is down to around $325, and all owners I've heard from are thrilled with it.

My older model, the FZ5, is good enough to have produced images good enough to have filled two exhibits last year.

Bookmark   March 5, 2010 at 8:05AM
firstlastbuild

thanks... I purchased a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H20. I got it at Sam's, so I have 3 months to decide if I like it.

Bookmark   March 20, 2010 at 2:19PM
More Discussions
Butterfly in my Garden
While working in my garden, this fella allowed me enough...
joyfulflowers
Mojave Deserts Forgotten
This is a picture i took of a Spanish style home in...
manakay_831
Question about posting photos with Houzz
It's nice that we can post four pictures now from our...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Lens isssues with cheaper digitals
Looked thru a couple of pages of forum topics for this...
robertz6
here are some bird pictures
I have a Nikon 5100 and 2 zoom lens one I use for the...
Lorna1949
Sponsored Products
Fanimation | Andover Ceiling Fan
$549.00 | YLighting
Premium 2" Faux Wood Blinds. Free Samples and Shipping!
$42.00 | Blinds.com
Double Shade Crystal Lamp
$1,050.00 | Horchow
F/N 1 Wall Sconce by WPT Design
$246.50 | Lumens
Florence Style Loft Right-Arm Leather Sectional Sofa in White
$1,499.00 | LexMod
Chalkboard Slate and Chalk Pencil
$44.99 | Dot & Bo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™