Anyone have pet rats?

freezetagFebruary 24, 2010

I read through the "Does anyone have just 1 pet" post, and though lots of us have multiple pets, I didn't see anyone who has pet rats. We will be getting a pair of them next month, and I have a couple of questions.

Generally breeders will only sell rats in pairs, unless you already have one (which we don't), because they need companionship. One of the pair is a few weeks older, and I'm wondering whether we should ask the breeder to hold her until both rats are ready, or bring her home when she is old enough. Also wondering whether they will be OK together right away, or whether we should keep them separate for awhile until they are better acquainted. The last pair we had got in a couple of minor fights when they were young, and I would like to avoid that!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mazer415

Just like dogs, rats like in a community and one always needs to dominate, tho rats will fight it is not usually serious. Talk to the breeder about what he recommends as far as bringing the rats home and ask if the two you are bringing home are use to each other or not.

Bookmark   February 24, 2010 at 3:58PM
booboo60

My grandkids have a pair of rats and I believe they are both females. They have had them about 2 years now and they have no problems with them fighting, in fact, they snuggle all the time! They are kept in a huge cage with a couple of those cute little hammocks!! They just love to sleep in those things!! I have held them and they are very sweet, nice pets :)

Bookmark   February 25, 2010 at 12:04AM
carmen_grower_2007

Rats are given away weekly on our Freecycle here. I can only think that they reproduce so fast there are always plenty available. I expect most people who take them are feeding their snakes!

Do people have them spayed and neutered? Does anybody care that many are let loose to roam? Just wondering.

Bookmark   February 28, 2010 at 4:07PM
booboo60

I know rabbits can be a problem that way, especially irresponsible people letting them go! They(rats) do make great pets; too bad some people don't care for them properly!

Bookmark   February 28, 2010 at 5:39PM
freezetag

You can have them spayed or neutered, but I don't know anyone who has. Normally you only have one sex, (or, if you are a breeder, keep males and females in separate cages.)

Not to excuse the irresponsible people, but there is a demand for snake food - snakes gotta eat, too! My nephew has a pet snake, so we had a running joke about our pets. (but when his snake was a tiny baby, it could only consume newborn rats, so our rats could probably have eaten him!)

A pox on anyone who lets animals reproduce, without regard for what will happen to their offspring : (

Bookmark   March 1, 2010 at 12:01PM
More Discussions
Dog throwing up yellow bile
Hi,what would be the most obvious reason for a dog...
debbiep_gw
Elsa/cystitis/vinegar
Last night I was frantically searching through messages...
ElsasMom
My cat won't eat or drink
My cat Shonen stopped eating and drinking 3 weeks ago...
andrea_san_diego
help with my pet
Hello, My name is Janet, owner of a 3 yr old male Blue...
janet1971
Dog still has fleas after using Frontline Plus..
Two weeks ago, I gave my dog a bath and then applied...
dianamo_1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™