Trace of blood in puppy's poop

debbiep_gwFebruary 28, 2010

The puppies will be 4 weeks old this Wed.,after just cleaning out their area I put down a clean sheet and turn around and saw a trace of blood in poop.I've no idea which one did it and there are nine of them.Could this be parasites?They are not eating food yet only nursing.We wormed them at 3 weeks but I used over the counter worming medicine for puppies and did not use the recommended dosage(i was worried it would harm them)as I had no way to weigh them.Any advice,other than go to the vet?If one gets visibly sick or I'm able to narrow it down to which one maybe sick then I can take it to the vet.Debbie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
craftyc

ahhh..Debbie..sorry you have one more worry with the pups. I know that hookworm can cause a bloody stool, but imagine there are other things that would too. sorry I can't give you advice, hopefully someone more experienced in puppydom can help you out with that. I have mail on the way to you by the way....

Bookmark   February 28, 2010 at 3:36PM
Ninapearl

if you find it again, take the stool to the vet and have them do a fecal exam. shouldn't be necessary to take the puppy. chances are, if one pup is affected (coccidia, parasites, etc.), they will all be affected and your vet can determine the proper treatment.

Bookmark   March 1, 2010 at 8:19AM
joepyeweed

Its very common for pups to need multiple doses of dewormer over a period of time.

I would take the stool sample to the vet.

Bookmark   March 1, 2010 at 5:06PM
More Discussions
swee' Pea got her angel wings yesterday
I lost my sweet dane girl to liver failure. It was...
Ninapearl
It's 2015....time for a new post about Vaccuum cleaners for Pet hair!!
Exciting, I know!! :). I searched and the most recent...
magsnj
Suddenly lost use of rear legs.
My 6 year old Golden suddenly lost use of his rear...
jgatty
Poison Control link
Some time ago Christine shared the following link to...
socks
Renal Failure In Dogs -
Hi, I took my rescued Cocker Spaniel to the vet last...
lucymarie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™