interesting frozen fog

photo2February 26, 2007

That's what our local weather guy called it last week but also know as Rime ...It's the crystal deposition formed by the rapid freezing of supercooled fog or water droplets onto exposed objects. These crystals are sometimes referred to as hoar frost, and on occasion, are thick enough to resemble a covering of snow. It doesn't last too long so I grabbed my camera and was out the door about 6:30 am. Mother nature sure offers us some intesting things to shoot doesn't she?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bigack

Wow, those are gorgeous! Haven't had a frost like that around here for ages.

Bookmark   February 26, 2007 at 10:52AM
iowagirl2006

I think that hoar frost is one of the most beautiful things in nature - thanks for the pics, and you are so right - it doesn't last long. Almost like a mini snowstorm when it starts coming off.

Those are really neat photos.

Bookmark   February 26, 2007 at 6:13PM
carol_in_california

Great pictures! My favorite is the last one....I love fog pictures.

Bookmark   February 26, 2007 at 6:21PM
Konrad___far_north

Wonderful pictures!
I also love to see this wonder of nature, thanks for sharing.
Konrad

Bookmark   February 26, 2007 at 10:55PM
juanital

I love it...Nature...in all it's beauty! Nice pics...
juanital

Bookmark   February 27, 2007 at 12:17AM
alisande

Lovely pictures! My favorite is the second. So graceful!

Bookmark   February 27, 2007 at 9:09AM
cherbo

Beautiful!

Bookmark   February 27, 2007 at 10:09AM
Dee1

I also favor the second picture. We had "frozen fog" one day last week here in Michigan.

Bookmark   February 27, 2007 at 7:07PM
rcnaylor

Those are great frozen fog pics. The delicate detail is beautiful.

We have had all sorts of freezing "stuff" this winter. Here is some that ranges from frozen fog to something heavier, not sure what you call it.

Bookmark   March 1, 2007 at 1:44PM
photo2

that looks like a winter wonderland for sure! Did you use them on a christmas card?...you could you know!!
Very beautiful. The pine trees remind me of one year when I was a kid we had a "flocked Christmas tree" It was way back in the 1950's and my dad bought a special kit to do it himself. He took the tree out into the garage to apply the flocking and ended up with flocking all over the place including his eyebrows and hair!! LOL He brought it into the house and it never did dry. Made the whole livingroom feel chilly and dampish. We never did that again. My Mom was not happy to say the least. lol

Bookmark   March 1, 2007 at 1:51PM
rcnaylor

Thanks Photo2. Haven't used them on a card yet, but that's a thought. We had one storm that coated everything in ice with a light layer of snow on top. One storm that was a nice heavy coat of snow (no wind) and then the storm where ever thing looked heavily frosted. There really was alot of winter wonderland feel around here this winter. Lastly winter we were basically dry as a bone moisture wise and had nothing but brown.

On your tree experience, I kinda recall a similar deal with some of that flocking. My mom was the one that decided to give it a try at our house. The long and short of our experience was it didn't look too bad, but it was definitely a one year experiment only.

Bookmark   March 1, 2007 at 4:48PM
rockinc_peg

Wow, wonderful photos!!

Bookmark   March 3, 2007 at 8:29AM
mariend

We had something like that few weeks ago--I called it a snow fog but the weather persons called it a hoar frost and went on to explain it. It lasted about 3 days and the sun was out and everything just sparkled.

Bookmark   March 8, 2007 at 8:12PM
rcnaylor

I've heard the Eskimos have a ridiculously (by our standards) large number of words for snow and frozen moisture. I bet they could set out the differences in these kinds of things without a bit of problem or miscommunication.

All I know is we have had had an unusually large and beautiful range of winter precip this year.

Bookmark   March 8, 2007 at 8:34PM
More Discussions
Butterfly in my Garden
While working in my garden, this fella allowed me enough...
joyfulflowers
Mojave Deserts Forgotten
This is a picture i took of a Spanish style home in...
manakay_831
Replace Canon G12 Powershot lens
I'm considering ordering a replacement lens for my...
oldbat2be
Mid-range DSLR Recommendations?
I've been kicking around the idea of finally ditching...
Swentastic
19 most expensive photographs ever sold
Here's a cool article listing (and showing) the top...
JamesScott86
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™