cooking beef brisket

grams33November 14, 2012

Again I need help-I have a 4# beef brisket and I would like to cook it up and have Reuben sandwiches over Thanksgiving. Please I need any help you experts can give --new to me. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Is it a corned beef? Or just un cured? I cook them differently...but then I don't make rubens out of un-cured beef.

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 4:31PM
grams33

Yes it is corn beef

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 6:38PM
colleenoz

I cook corned beef by submerging it in a mixture of water and dry ginger ale, about half and half. Throw in a few peppercorns. Simmer- not a rolling boil, that will toughen it- until cooked, I'd go for about 2 hours, then let it cool in the liquid. This will keep it moist. when cool, remove from the liquid and keep covered in the refrigerator.

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 8:20PM
annie1992

I usually put a corned beef in the crockpot on low. Depending on how well done you like it, anywhere from 7 to 10 hours, but if you cook it too long it'll shred and not slice nicely.

The pressure cooker works well too, and I'm going to have to try Colleen's ginger ale, that sounds good.

Annie

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 8:24PM
lindac

I do what colleen does....but I don't use ginger ale.
I remove the meat from the package, save the spice package, rinse the meat and put it into a roaster or a dutch oven large enough to cover it with water. I add the spice packet and an onion quarters a couple of whole peeled cloves of garlic.
Bring to a simmer on the stove top....turn the heat down and keep at just the barest simmer for about an hour per pound of meat....
Or in the oven at a temp between 200 and 225 ( 212!).
Cool a 20 minutes in the broth, remove....and for really easy slicing, chill, then slice.

And that broth makes a really good base for pea soup....it's very salty so you will want to add some water.....but don't toss the broth!!

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 8:52PM
dcarch7

Pressure cooker gets it done in 1/3 the time.

dcarch

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 1:25AM
More Discussions
Where is the canning forum now? :(
I'm not finding the canning forum. Can someone help...
gardnpondr
Beans and Greens Recipes?
I wonder if I haven't been getting out enough, and...
plllog
Happy Birthday Nancy/wizardnm
A little bird just told me that today is your birthday,...
annie1992
Monkey Princess makes pretzels
The Monkey Princess decided that we needed to learn...
annie1992
Why can't they leave things alone?
I really don't have the time nor the energy to learn...
doucanoe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™