Advice please about camera purchase

happygramFebruary 3, 2008

Hello,

I recently bought a very nice point and shoot to take pictures of our new grandson. Much to my dismay, I found that by the time I get the camera in focus, I've completely lost the shot.

I was told that I'd be much better off with a digital SLR.

The two cameras I've researched are the Canon XTi and the new Nikon 40x. They both come with lenses, although I imagine those lenses aren't really great. I do have a decent older Canon lens from a previous SLR camera, and that lens would work with the XTi.

Have you any recommendation/experiences with either of these cameras so that I can finally make up my mind??? I've been dithering so long that the little guy is going to be all grown up and I won't have any good pictures!!!!!

Thanks so much.

Mary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
minrose

I have a Canon Digital SLR Rebel and a Nikon SLR D80, both are great cameras. I am sure either one would be a very good camera for you.

Bookmark   February 3, 2008 at 8:20AM
joanmn

I love my XTi. Read the user forums on dpreview.com, and get owner's opinions of their cams.
JoanMN/FL

Bookmark   February 3, 2008 at 10:38PM
caudex1

That was one of the reasons why I went DSLR.

Either way you go will be a huge step up from P&S. If your going to use old lenses, Canon will be they way to go.

Bookmark   February 19, 2008 at 12:56AM
ashelton80

I had the EXACT same issue deciding between those two cameras.

Image quality difference was minimal, with a nod to each camera in different areas, based on what I saw at dpreview.com.

You're already one up with Canon, since you have some glass that will work already. I DID hear that the Nikon kit lens was a bit better than Canon...

I have decided to go with the Canon XTi myself, or i MAY wait on the XSi due out in April.

The main dealbreaker for me? I went to the store and held each camera in my hands. The Canon fit better...:)

A

Bookmark   February 19, 2008 at 1:31AM
bean_counter_z4

What camera do you have? First of all I would find out why you are having this problem. If you have a good P&S you should get good photos. Is it because the child is active and hard to keep in focus? Check your owners book for various settings for auto focus, some are quicker than others. Most good P&S cameras have a manual focus option just like a DSLR. For active children learn to use the fast shutter speeds to freeze the motion (you need good light for these).

I would ask anyone who advises a DSLR to explain the specific reasons spending more money is going to guarantee better photos. As a rule, DSLR's give you more options and better light sensors, not clearer or easier focusing. Just MHO.

Marnie

Bookmark   February 21, 2008 at 9:34AM
More Discussions
Digital or Otherwise?
Have scads of photo equipment based around a Canon...
pink_warm_mama_1
Homemade PVC Photo Booth
I normally post in another Garden Forum, but thought...
oldalgebra
Replace Canon G12 Powershot lens
I'm considering ordering a replacement lens for my...
oldbat2be
Miscanthus sinensis on display
I like this photo because it nicely displays my ornamental...
joyfulflowers
Help with old photos from a Kodak digital camera
I recently found several old floppy discs that I had...
don_na_na
Sponsored Products
Fan Blades 56 in. for San Francisco Ceiling Fan by Minka Aire Fans
$43.90 | Lumens
DENY Designs Wesley Bird Rather Be An Outlaw Fleece Throw Blanket - 14062-FLELAR
$59.00 | Hayneedle
Courtyard Black Rectangular: 5 ft. 3 in. x 7 ft. 7 in. Rug
$104.95 | Bellacor
Americh Concorde 6032 Tub (60" x 32" x 21")
Modern Bathroom
Antiquities Majesty Burgundy Rectangular: 5 ft. x 8 ft. Rug
$231.95 | Bellacor
Lauren Genuine Leather Aluminum Base High Back Executive Chair - Cream
Zuri Furniture
Remer by Nameeks K39 Hand Shower - REMER K39
$206.96 | Hayneedle
GSI by Nameeks Traccia Floor Mounted Bidet - GSI 696311
$591.91 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™