Mauviel pots and pans: likes and dislikes?

Why_not_meNovember 30, 2012

Costco is selling the Mauviel 9-piece set online (also the 8-piece) for what seems to be a great price.

I didn't know much about Mauviel, so we visited the neighbourhood high-end kitchen toy shop, and played with Mauviel and All-Clad.

The salesman said Mauviel is overpriced on this side of the pond, but is at least as good as All-Clad.

We'll be cooking by gas - Bluestar - and we are competent cooks (happily burn water when distracted, but can pull off a mean souffl� as required).

The All-Clad looks and feels like it's good quality (I think that's a given, right!), but I don't much like the scooped-out handle - doesn't work with my hands, I suspect. We bought the 11" saut� pan, but I'm thinking I'll return it.

So - anyone use Mauviel pots and pans? Like them, or not?

Here is a link that might be useful: Costco's Mauviel set

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I have a bunch of Mauviel, but it is the heavy copper stuff, so my experience with it may not be completely relevant. It does have the same shape of handle as the stainless Mauviel in your link, so I'll comment on that.

I prefer All Clad handles, and find them a lot more functional. Compared to the Mauviel handles and most cookware handles, the All Clad handles have an unusual "C" shape and are more sharply angled. Other handles, including the Mauviel's, have a smooth, rounded shape and are flatter.

When the pot is empty and your hands are dry, the other handles are nicer. They feel smooth and comfortable and they look ergonomic.

But now fill the pot with water to 1" of the rim, and get your hands wet and slippery with fat, grease, or for testing purposes a bit of soap will do.

Now the other pot's round handle will easily spin in your slippery hands, and your wrists will work hard to hold the full pot level.

The All Clad's weird "C" shaped handle turns out to provide the perfect place to place your thumb, thus preventing the handle from spinning no matter how greasy your hands are. And the All Clad's steep handle lets you brace the butt of the handle against your forearm, taking some weight off your wrist.

Basically, the All Clad handles are well designed for heavy, busy, hard cooking. Their virtues don't show up in the showroom or in light use.

My Mauviel pots are very heavy, more than the stainless ones are, and when they are full I am always reminded how much I prefer the handle on my All Clad.

This post was edited by johnliu on Sat, Dec 1, 12 at 3:41

    Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 6:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

How can I tell if copper cookware is Mauviel. I bought it years (10?) ago, it was sent from France because I remember paying duty on shipment. Only problem is I can't remember manufacturer. Looks just like Mauviel, heavy copper over stainless with cast iron handles and stamped "Made in France" above and to left of handle but nothing else. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

    Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 6:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Welcome Jamesepa! I see you just joined today. Hopefully someone can answer the question about your copper pot.

I hope you stop in more often.

Teresa from Minnesota

    Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 7:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Looks like an imitation to me.


Here is a link that might be useful:

    Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 7:26PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks Teresa. I've got an 8 piece set of this; frying pan, saute pan/lid, stock pot and 2 more pots/lids. Looked all over for documentation, can't find it. Now I'm more curious than anything.

    Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 8:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

James - whatever you have it looks like a nice quality cookware.

That said, the first thing that jumped out at me was your countertop. I am re-doing my kitchen. The choices are endless or at least it seems. Suddenly the things that jump out of a picture are different than in the past.
Please - don't anyone suggest I go to the kitchen/appliance/whatever forum. If anyone throws anymore choices at me I'm going to lose my mind! :-)

This post was edited by teresa_mn on Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 20:27

    Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 8:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Your pot looks like the good stuff. Meaning: thick copper, lined with stainless steel, heavy cast iron handles, made in France. Similar to mine. Some of my copper cookware is stamped "Mauviel", some is not, they are all similar quality and construction. There are numerous companies in France that make copper cookware, Mauviel is just one among many.

    Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 4:07AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks John. I did go on Mauviel website and noticed pots/pans are stamped Made in France in the same place, same lettering and size. Only thing that says Mauviel is on the handle. I think I just wanted to be able to put a name with the cookware, thanks again.

    Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 10:27AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Here's a quote from an exhaustive survey of cookware:

"Things to consider: Although manufacturers of stainless lined copper sometimes claim that their product is better than the competition, in fact Falk Culinair developed the process by which stainless steel and copper are bonded together to make this cookware. All cookware employing this design is made from the exact same materials, regardless of price."

It may well be that it's the exact same item as Mauviel copper but may have been marketed differently.

For more info on cookware than any sane person needs, click the link. (But who said that denizens of this forum are sane? Not I.)

Here is a link that might be useful: stovetop cookware

    Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 1:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

stovetop cookware.....
Someone had a lot of time on their hands to write that. Did get to the part you quoted, kind of says it all I guess. I'm going with "it's made in France, I had it shipped over".

    Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 10:50PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
How Do You Cook Brown Rice?
Having just turned 52, it is no longer possible to...
Help with baked eggs and a new oven
Hi - we recently got a new oven (Thermador) and my...
So what is "a bunch"?
It drives me crazy when recipes call for a bunch of...
More Sourdough Discard & Baker's Kaffeeklatsch
We left off at Troisième I haven't had time and...
OT - spoon basket
So I am having some work done on my 'kitchen'. The...
Sponsored Products
Hammered Polished Copper Hose Pot - With Lid
Signature Hardware
Dancing Frogs Weathervane
Grandin Road
Anatolia Dark Grey and Brown Rectangle: 6 Ft. In. x 9 Ft. In. Area Rug
$364.95 | Bellacor
Enclume 4-foot Hanging Oval Cooking Rack
$609.99 | FRONTGATE
Restoration Satin Nickel Pot-filler Kitchen Faucet
Rusty Faucet Planter
$23.99 | Dot & Bo
Antique Copper Whitehaus WHKPFSLV3-9000 Retractable Kitchen Pot Filler
$359.00 | Blue Bath
Anatolia Province Wool Area Rugs
$429.00 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™