Can you use flea drops on a dog that is having puppies

debbiep_gwFebruary 3, 2010

As in having puppies soon,the next few days or so?There is a stray that is in our neighborhood that is having puppies soon and she is covered with fleas.She has been staying with us a little and I've noticed the fleas.I've found conflicting info.My vets office receptionist says I can go ahead and use frontline or advantage,I read on the internet not to use the advantage.Any thoughts?I'm thinking she may have her puppies here and don't want aflea infestation nor do I want to harm her or the puppies.TIA.Debbie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sylviatexas1

You might check with another vet, or check with the Advantage site, but I've found that 1/2 of the recommended dose usually works, & there'd be less "product" on the mother.

I wish you the best.

Bookmark   February 3, 2010 at 5:36PM
mazer415

I would use half a dose. You might also go get some diatomaceous earth, not the stuff for a pool - that has added checmicals, just plain ol DE from the garden center or on line, it is very inexpensive. Place some down in a twel or some bedding (under the towel or bedding) and around the area where the dog has made her nest, this will help kill any fleas that jump off of her in order to lay eggs. Reapply if it gets wet. Be careful not to breathe too much of the stuff...good luck

Bookmark   February 3, 2010 at 7:16PM
debbiep_gw

Thanks to you both.I have called every vet in my area and they all said I could use either.I will start with half the dose and will look into the diatomaceous earth for the ground.Debbie

Bookmark   February 4, 2010 at 11:09AM
More Discussions
Anyone had a problem with 'DreamBones' dog snack?
Has anyone had any problems with a dog snack called...
cas66ragtop
dog suddenly licking snow and plants
Today, like normal, my dog woke me when she needed...
greengirlreba
Excellent Animal Hospital in New England?
We are happy with our vet (actually vets, she has a...
sue36
My cat won't eat or drink
My cat Shonen stopped eating and drinking 3 weeks ago...
andrea_san_diego
swee' Pea got her angel wings yesterday
I lost my sweet dane girl to liver failure. It was...
Ninapearl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™