Ground Chicken ?

triciaeNovember 8, 2011

Whole Foods had BSCB on sale. DH bought 5 lbs. (sigh) I don't like BSCB. What was he thinking? I know, I know...they were on sale.

Anyway, we'll make some chicken parm from 4 pieces, stuff another 4 with sauteed spinach, mushrooms, shallot, garlic, & a bit of mozz.

That still leaves some (read...a lot).

I was thinking of grinding a few in the FP & making chicken-apple sausage. Going to season with our home dehydrated apples (I'll whiz them into tiny pieces), and a bit of brown sugar, onion & garlic powder, just a hint of cinnamon, fennel seed, thyme, & S/P.

I think SBCB are always dry, dry, dry. I was going to add some olive oil to the mix. But, the other day I saw one of Giada's shows where she made ground chicken burgers & mixed in mayo (yuck, we don't keep mayo in the house). She said it kept the burgers moist. Hmmm Would mayo work in the sausage? These sausage patties will be headed to the freezer. Will the mayo hold up in the freezer?

So, is mayo a good idea or should I just add some EVOO?

/tricia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ci_lantro

If your boneless skinless CB's are dry, I'm thinking you're overcooking them? Properly cooked, they should be just past pink but still moist & juicy.

I love dark meat chicken but I have a gazillion uses for BSCBs, too.

Pound them out and saute in a bit of butter; remove & deglaze pan w/ some cream plus tarragon or capers, salt & pepper. Plate the breasts & drizzle the sauce over.

Marinate & grill for fajitas.

Cut into chunks & saute to add to an alfredo sauce for pasta. Broccoli is a nice addition.

Asian Orange Chicken is a family favorite that makes good use of chicken breasts.

I'm sure others will add a lot of other great uses. Grinding them into sausage seems almost criminal when there are so many other yummy things to do with them!

Bookmark   November 8, 2011 at 4:44PM
triciae

Ci lantro, I've got Sjogren's & my "dry" is different than most. I'm talking so dry a baked potato smothered in butter & sour cream is a choke hazard. With the sausage I can make a quick gravy & get them down but can't chew nor swallow a bite of BSCB on it's own. :(

Mayo or olive oil?

/t

Bookmark   November 8, 2011 at 5:01PM
jkom51

Olive oil - light flavored is best. Mayo will de-emulsify.

Bookmark   November 8, 2011 at 5:41PM
johnliu_gw

Oil or lard or gelatin (unflavored Knox works). Not that I make sausages, but that's what I do for dumplings.

Bookmark   November 8, 2011 at 8:55PM
coconut_nj

I'd also suggest grinding some into ground chicken and using it in pasta sauce. The small granules in a pasta sauce should help. I love chicken in pasta sauce so for me I'd just throw in the whole breasts, but just today I made a sauce with some ground pork, ground chicken as well as ground beef.

Bookmark   November 8, 2011 at 9:27PM
jessyf

How about doucanoe's spicy chicken cakes. They are moistened with eggs/mayo. Link below.

I also can also see using some up as an Asian won ton mix/meatloaf for ground chicken.

Here is a link that might be useful: Recipe on Thibeault's Table

Bookmark   November 8, 2011 at 9:34PM
Islay_Corbel

Little chicken meatballs for spaghetti, filling for ravioli, mix with some ground pork and make little greek-style sausages... yum

Bookmark   November 9, 2011 at 2:57AM
More Discussions
Once it was so easy..............................
To find whatever one wanted quickly. Now everything...
Robert Givens
Really yummy vegan broth?
It's that time of year again. Planning for Passover....
plllog
BISCUITS
Just made these biscuits, but felt they weren't worth...
Robert Givens
Why can't they leave things alone?
I really don't have the time nor the energy to learn...
doucanoe
Kitchen Gadget Over-the-Top?
Drinking Straw Cleaner? I don't think so but checking...
mustangs81
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™