Picture retouching

grizzylemonJanuary 28, 2007

I have had fun (and I think success) in retouching some of our old family photographs to get rid of spots, lines, damage, etc by using photoshop. I know that places like walgreens offer a similar service and I would guess they do a similar process but what I don't know how to do is how do they take an original black/white photo and then change it to a color pic? My real question is does photoshop do is, if so, how? Is there another easy program or do they just painstakingly replace colors as they go along?

Enquiring minds and all that.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
uniqcrafts2000

I have also been retouching old photos. It's amazing. Let's see your before and afters.

I have never tried to add color. Not sure if you can. Why do you want to?

Bookmark   January 29, 2007 at 6:30PM
grizzylemon

I thought it might be nice to see what they looked like in color. Here are some that I did for fun the other day. The one called 'wendy' has a before/after and was more of a 'makeover'. She's an actress from a well known british soap opera. I thought she could use a 'lift'.
:)
The others are older pictures of my family. Your turn!

Here is a link that might be useful: Index to photos

Bookmark   January 29, 2007 at 9:29PM
firewire800

Here's a link with info about hand coloring B&W.

Joe

Here is a link that might be useful: color B&W

Bookmark   January 29, 2007 at 11:44PM
brindisi

I do this a lot for various reasons, and what I usually end up doing is using a layer over a bw- set the blend mode to color- and then choose a darker shade of the desired color and just paint it with a paint brush- i usually end up doing large patches of color and then using a layer mask to clean everything up :) I added an example its not a great example i should have lightened the pic a bit but, its my son and he was cold lol so I went with just the hood colored- more than happy to help if anyone needs it.

Rach

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   February 6, 2007 at 4:26PM
More Discussions
Digital or Otherwise?
Have scads of photo equipment based around a Canon...
pink_warm_mama_1
My digital slideshow on Utube Xmas 14
This is what I do with my digital photo's, music added...
aputernut
Some of my garden photography
Hi!!!! I didn't know there was a photography forum...
Desirai
The 73 most expensive photographs ever sold
Here's a cool article listing (and showing) The 73...
JamesScott86
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™