getting littermates !!

vnualaFebruary 17, 2013

has anyone had any problems with getting 2 pups from the same litter ?? i am getting 2 female shihtzu's in 8 weeks time as i have 5 children ages 2,5,10,15,18,and it saves the fighting over one pup,i also know they will be spoilt rotten especially by my 10 and 15yr old daughters.I am getting a crate with a devider and will train them seperate as this is what it says on the net when trying to find out a little about 2 pups.Has anyone done this and has it worked.Thanks in advance Vicky. (the crate is only for sleeping) i am also at home all day and have owned a shihtzu before ,she passed away 4 yrs ago age 13.

This post was edited by vnuala on Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 11:47

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Got to be a troll. Registered today. And no one is that foolish. 2 small breed puppies, with a 2 year old and a 5 year old in the house? Of a breed that is particularly difficult to housebreak? Got to be a troll.

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 8:00PM
sylviatexas1

& she doesn't want to get only one because the children would fight over it.

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 8:23PM
eahamel

And littermates? Never a good idea. They will bond with each other and won't be good pets for children, especially not that young. And you're right, a lot of them never get housebroken. If this isn't a troll, those pups are aimed at a rescue in a year or so. If you aren't a troll, please get only ONE of those pups and work with it for a year or so. It will be a lot of work, and if you get littermates you'll have to put 3 or 4 times the amount of work and energy into raising them. Not a good idea at all. Better yet, wait until your youngest is 5 or 6. It's hard to have the time and energy and attention needed to raise a puppy under the bets of circumstances, and you have 2 kids that need at least as much of your time and energy as one pup would need.

Oh, and toy breeds need to be with mother and littermates until they are 10-12 weeks old. They don't mature as fast as most larger dogs, and need the learning and socialization they get from their mother and littermates. Yes, they will be weaned at 4 or 5 weeks, but weaning has NOTHING to do with a pup being ready to leave home.

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 8:24PM
More Discussions
which dog should I get?!
I am confused on which breed of dog to get and I need...
adi003
ACL tear in dog's knee
Hi everyone, Our dog Maggie was just diagnosed with...
Pinky920
Cat with awful breath
I adopted a cat a few months back, she's 7 years old....
Else
please help with a question about euthanizing a dog
my dog was put to sleep yesterday and i am upset with...
robin7500
Spray to deter cat scratching woodwork
Does the spray work? I almost bought a bottle at PetCo...
schoolhouse_gw
Sponsored Products
K'NEX Angry Birds Hal vs. Medium Minion Pig Starter Building Set - 72478
$25.99 | Hayneedle
Axis Adjustable Barstools (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Turquoise Plushy Jellyfish Vibrating Pillow
$29.99 | zulily
Riviera Hard Wire Brushed Stainless Towel Warmer
Overstock.com
Oil Lamp w/ Frosted Glass Shade - Stelton
$109.00 | HORNE
Crystorama 4439-CH-CL Maria Theresa Chandelier - 4439-CH-CL-MWP
Hayneedle
KitchenAid RKMT422CU Contour Silver 4-slice Manual High-Lift Lever Toaster (Refu
Overstock.com
Designers Fountain Gala 86089 9-Light Chandelier - 86089-ARS
$898.00 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™