I do not have a steady hand...

cookie8January 19, 2010

And am looking to buy a new camera. Right now we have the Canon PowerShot SD600 Digital Elph which seems to be on it's last leg. It takes very clear and crisp shots on a stable surface or tripod but that rarely happens and it's me with my unsteady hands taking the pictures. I don't have the shakes or anything but I can't hold the camera still if my life depended on it. Is there a camera out there that would compensate for this? BTW, it's more like a slight sway as my pictures are always so slightly off from the subject I am trying to get and it's even worse when I zoom in. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eric_wa

cookie8,

My Sony Camera DSC-500 has a setting called Steady Shot. You can have it on all the time or when the shutter is pressed have way down. I believe many cameras today have the stabilizer option.

Eric

Bookmark   January 19, 2010 at 12:45PM
cookie8

Thanks. I have been eying the Canon sxi but my husband is telling me a point and shoot works really well and I just have to spend some time reading the manual to get to know the features. Thanks. I will check it out and see how it does once I set up that option.

Bookmark   January 19, 2010 at 3:14PM
pfmastin

Hi cookie8,
If you like your camera and don't particularly want to buy a new one, you might want to consider using a tripod or a "bean bag" to stabilize your camera. There are some hints about using your body to help steady the camera (take a breath and hold it while you press the shutter, place your elbows at your side when you hold the camera, lean against a tree or other object to stabilize your body,etc). It just takes some practice, but I can't say enough about using a tripod. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon

Bookmark   January 19, 2010 at 8:50PM
alisande

Cookie, a lot of cameras today have Image Stabilization (IF). I don't think it's specifically intended to help with photographer shake; it was designed to compensate for the internal shake that comes when using a long zoom. But I'm told it can help solve your problem, too.

The other BIG factor is this: Do you hold the camera out in front of you, and use the LCD screen to compose? If so, I'm sure you'll find you do a lot better if you keep the camera against your face and use a viewfinder.

Bookmark   February 3, 2010 at 8:41PM
More Discussions
Mid-range DSLR Recommendations?
I've been kicking around the idea of finally ditching...
Swentastic
error message 01 on Canon T4i
We have three of these cameras. 2 are getting the error...
jeaninwa
Homemade PVC Photo Booth
I normally post in another Garden Forum, but thought...
oldalgebra
Butterfly in my Garden
While working in my garden, this fella allowed me enough...
joyfulflowers
Some of my garden photography
Hi!!!! I didn't know there was a photography forum...
Desirai
Sponsored Products
Rosebay Botanical Arrangement
$399.00 | FRONTGATE
Crescent Teal Rug (9'6 x 13'6)
Overstock.com
Stainless Steel Stand Whisk
$5.99 | zulily
Mission You Medium Outdoor Wall Sconce by Varaluz
$249.00 | Lumens
Artcraft Lighting Mercer Street Brushed Nickel & White Three-Light Pendant
$297.00 | LuxeDecor
Safavieh Hand-made Chelsea Black/ Brown Wool Rug (7' Round)
Overstock.com
Darya Rugs Ziegler, Blue, 3'4" x 4'10" M1770-158
Bitterroot Bit and Spur
5556 Round Adjustable Pendant
Lightology
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™