remove wallpaper?

home4all6December 2, 2010

Hi everyone! I have *the* age-old wallpaper question--remove or paint over? WE want it removed, but our painter wants to 'mud' the seams, then prime and paint over it. It is old paper, and it is in our center-entry hallway, going all the way up the stairs and the entire upstairs hallway too. It is in very good condition, not peeling anywhere. It is over plaster walls (also over another layer of even older wallpaper and dark green paint, too--yay)

They want to charge $950 to do the mud, prime and paint thing.

To remove it and paint--$2500!

So, what do I do? Right now, we're doing nothing. I'll be living with the lovely paper for the time being. I'll try to attach a picture for your viewing pleasure :)

(Oh, btw, I am a do-it-yourselfer sometimes, but with my 6, 4 ,and 1 year old twins, I haven't got a lot of time for building scaffolding and stripping paper...but we have removed all the carpet and are refinishing the floors...)

Here is a link that might be useful: home4all6 album

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mary_md7

I realize you said you don't have a lot of time for wallpaper removal, but that's what I would do. Contrary to those who report it being such a nightmare, I find it merely time consuming but not difficult. I haven't used scaffolding--I've just moved a chair or step-stool around.

I would not pay someone $1550 to do it. I don't know if that is a time-and-materials cost or a we-don't-want-to-do-it-so-we'll-discourage-you-with-a-high-price cost.

Bookmark   December 3, 2010 at 6:55PM
fandlil

You might try to find out if the walls were properly prepared ("sized") before they were papered. If not, it will be almost impossible to strip the paper off without damaging the walls. Second, you might want to paint over the wallpaper in a small inconspicuous location to find out whether the paint will adhere properly and cover the wallpaper design. After you have answered these questions, you will be in a better position to make an informed decision on how to proceed.

Bookmark   December 4, 2010 at 12:43AM
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

Remove it, period... If it is plaster walls it should come off pretty easy. here is a link for the steps.

Here is a link that might be useful: removal

Bookmark   December 4, 2010 at 7:28AM
paintguy22

I agree....stripping wallpaper from plaster is a whole different animal than if it were on drywall. Plaster is like rock, really hard to damage. The entire reason everyone thinks that removing wallpaper is such a nightmare is because we started hanging it on top of drywall as if it were plaster. Don't forget that even though the wallpaper may seem stuck to you and your professional painter, adding the weight of mud and paint may help it come loose and/or bubble everywhere over time. Painting over wallpaper should really only be done as a last resort.

Bookmark   December 4, 2010 at 10:23AM
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

Painting over wallpaper should really only be done as a last resort.

Exactly

Bookmark   December 6, 2010 at 6:40AM
More Discussions
What is the best interior latex paint?
I have used Ben Moore for the past 40 years as a superior...
pjj1955
Looking for creamy light gold paint. Anyone?
Want to paint using a really light creamy color with...
jtaime2
Kitchen Cabinets
The previous owner put polyurethane on oak cabinets....
luckeylaredo
BM graytint
used it? Love/like/hate it? Feng Shui says extra...
randekasp
Sherwin Williams vs. Ben. Moore vs. Behr
Hello. I currently have Behr and SW paint in our home....
Bridget Helm
Sponsored Products
Victorian Sheer Drapery Panel
FRONTGATE
Kartell | Comback Chair, Swivel Base
$790.00 | YLighting
Uttermost Ablenay Hand Forged Frame 37" High Mirror
Lamps Plus
Baldwin White Oval Planter
$425.00 | Horchow
Kartell | Comback Rocking Chair
$890.00 | YLighting