Poultry shears?

sushipup1November 23, 2012

Does anyone have a recommendation for poultry shears? We splatchcocked our bird yesterday, and promise to do it every year, it was so good and easy and fast. But the old shears (at least 36 years old), like the Wusthoff ones first on the Amazon page, were just not making it. I also have smaller Joyce Chen scissors which I love, but they are small.

Anyone have a recommendation?

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon poultry shears

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annie1992

I can tell you what NOT to buy. I have KitchenAid poultry shears and they didn't work well for the turkey that I decided to cut the backbone out of. They are fine for chickens and smaller items, but that turkey got the best of them and I ended up using a large chef's knife.

Annie

Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 3:51PM
johnliu_gw

Make sure they have a cut out at the very back of the blade, just before the hinge, like the one linked.

That allows you to get ahold of a bone and crunch through it.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 4:34PM
publickman

I used scissors that I bought at Home Depot (see link below), and they worked fine for me, but I used them on a chicken instead of a turkey. I think they are meant for gardening, but that doesn't mean you can't use them in the kitchen, which is what I bought them for. I did not buy a 3-pack - only the large pair.

Here is a link that might be useful: Husky T1 scissors

Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 5:10PM
chas045

In our research lab where we needed to cut through soft bone and tissue, we found that the most inexpensive utility sissors were the most useful. The one I found at Amazon has a tag at the end for support that might get in the way (or migt be useful) but you can choose others. They are short but powerful and though they don't have the gullet that John suggests, they will not slip because of the rough edge on the side of the blade.

You can cut through tin cans and other great stuff too.

Here is a link that might be useful: utility sissors

Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 5:10PM
pkramer60

If you are doing the cutting, be sure that they fit your hand well. I have a rather costly one that I never use because it is too big when I open them. Then I found a Hoffritz shear that is perfect for me and lets me crack through bone very nicely. Just sayin'.

Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 5:46PM
More Discussions
Big Weekend Ahead
Hi everyone, I'll be making Crab Stuffed Mushrooms...
moonwolf_gw
Another Record: $4.235 Per Pound for Ground Beef
I read this headline in a recent cnsnews.com article....
grainlady_ks
Feels like the longest winter ever- anyone else dying for ramps?
Ok, so I can't stop thinking about ramp season. Maybe...
kiwigem
Pasta rolling pin aka mattarello
I'm planning on purchasing a mattarello or pasta rolling...
miscel
Shredding cheese
Just watching an episode of Cooks country where they...
debrak_2008
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™