Since you guys were so much help before...

ernietdDecember 18, 2010

I have another question. Or rather, two questions.

You all kindly pointed me to instructions on painting kitchen cabinets. I will follow those to the letter, but...The instructions call for latex paint. I have always been under the impression that oil is better. Is that true? I sort of like the smell of oil, so that's not a problem

Also, I want to put a soapstone counter on top of the cabinets therefore, I have to wait to paint till I pick my soapstone. How long can I wait between priming and painting? Days, Months, years.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

In a kitchen ... days is best because the inevitable kitchen grunge builds up and you need to prep all over again.

Soapstone pretty much comes on one color - dark grey/black with white veining so you can pick paint without waiting like you need to for granites.

Bookmark   December 19, 2010 at 6:09PM
Faron79

Oil is NOT really better anymore.

PLUS...in light/white-ish colors, Alkyds WILL yellow/amber a bit. Moreso in northern climes where it's darker longer at night.
Lack of UV light causes this. There's just no way of altering it.

Therefore, I'd use a top-notch Latex paint, or the newer Waterborne Alkyds, which typically level real nice...assuming proper prep, application tools/methods, etc.
FPE's ECO-series paint, or the Eurolux Satin or Gloss for ultimate look. NOT kidding on this!

Faron

Bookmark   December 20, 2010 at 11:00AM
ernietd

Sorry I didn't say thanks earlier, Christmas season!!

Thanks for the help!! I hadn't been thinking about kitchen grunge, lazygardens, are you one of my neighbors? Have you seen my kitchen and been appalled?

faron79--I had no idea at all about yellowing! Gosh, there is just so much I don't know!

Bookmark   December 24, 2010 at 5:32PM
yayagal

I used BM Aura paint, one coat of primer and two coats of the Aura. I'm so glad I used it. It cleans so easily and holds up beautifully. It's latex.

Bookmark   December 25, 2010 at 1:48AM
More Discussions
Paint not cured-it's been over a month!
I recently painted an unfinished wooden bench. I did...
Phobie Privett
Choosing Paint Color with Lighting Issues
I'm anxious to start painting my kitchen cabinet doors...
funkycamper
BM Satin Impervo Waterborne discontinued. Replacement?
I went to purchase this today and discovered it had...
jellytoast
Paint pink ground
what is the equivalent of pink ground by Farrow and...
appuri
Help me find this wall paper please
Hi all. I'm new to the forum and excited to be here....
sasseeash
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™