How long does it take Metacam (meloxicam) to work?

alisandeFebruary 25, 2010

Wolfy, my arthritic Husky-Shepherd was recently switched from Previcox to the generic form of Metacam (meloxicam). Before starting the meloxicam he was given a cortisone shot and we stopped the Previcox for 12 days to get the Previcox out of his system. Today was his first day on meloxicam.

It was bad day insofar as his hips go. I remember it took a few days for the Previcox to take effect; is this true of meloxicam, too? Wolfy is also on Tramadol for pain, but I hope the meloxicam kicks in sooner rather than later. About how long will this take?

Thanks!

Susan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annzgw

I found this on a website: Maximum effect is seen approximately 8 hours after administration. When beginning a trial course of meloxicam, a response may take 3 or 4 days to show. If no response has been seen in 10 days, meloxicam has failed and a different pain medication should be tried. If one NSAID fails, another may well work.

I hope he gets relief soon.

Bookmark   February 25, 2010 at 1:32AM
mazer415

poor pup. I hope he gets relief soon, I well know the agony and helplessness of seeing your baby in pain.

Bookmark   February 25, 2010 at 1:50AM
alisande

Thanks for the information and support. I'm happy to report I've been seeing signs of improvement. Hope to see even more over the next day or so.

Bookmark   February 26, 2010 at 9:37PM
mboston_gw

Our Brittany was on Metacam for several years. Within a week she was like a little puppy again - running, jumping, so playful. It lasted for about two years then slowly as she got older it had little affect on her. But she lived to be 14 and I'd say all but the last 2 were quality years.

Bookmark   February 28, 2010 at 10:16AM
bsmart65_shaw_ca

one of my border collies had both ligaments repaired in her hind legs,it worked fine.now about 3-4 years later she has arthritus in one.I put her on Metacam and it was like a miracle,one evening she was almost dragging herself along,next morning she was like two year old and she's 11 this year.

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 10:31AM
More Discussions
cats - non regenerative anemia
My 10 month old cat was diagnosed on Friday with severe...
miw-bast
help with my pet
Hello, My name is Janet, owner of a 3 yr old male Blue...
janet1971
Can we say G A S
And it's not me, dh or my two old dogs. It's the new...
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
Help me please!
Hello everyone I need some advice! I've had my beautiful...
azuresnow
Help with death on my dog
perianal fistula disease. Does anyone have experience...
ronminsouthga
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™