Quickest Least Expensive Method Of Removing Wall Paper Border?

catkinDecember 14, 2010

I'll be painting a dining room that currently has border (hideous, I might add) any tips would be helpful. I've read that applying moist heat works wonders and it's virtually free, your opinionss?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brendainnj

If you do a search for border removal, you should get lots of posts--seems many people have this problem. From my own experience, first determine if the border will come off fairly easily by holding a wet sponge against it to slightly saturate & then try pulling any loose areas. What eventually worked for me, after using a paper tiger & removal gel, and a clothes steamer (not good-melted the paint), was just using a cloth & saturating the remnants of the border with Downy liquid fabric softener. Not sure if that's what did the trick, but it worked as well as anything else & smelled nice too! Just be prepared for possibly lots of tedious work--mine was like scraping confetti off the wall...scraping with my "Pampered Chef" pot scraper & fingernails.

After it's all removed, cover with a coat of Gardz; this will prevent any residual glue from getting into your new topcoat.

Happy scraping!

Bookmark   December 14, 2010 at 7:42PM
Charlee_MO

I just tore off what I could. Then sprayed real good with water, to soak through and then scraped with a putty knife. It took a while but it wasn't hard plus very inexpensive.

Bookmark   December 18, 2010 at 7:06PM
clairebuoyant

A spray bottle with 1/2 HOT water and 1/2 cheap, white vinegar. The 'tiger' scoring tool is also a big help to allow the warm vinegar solution to penetrate the paper and underlying 'glue' layer. Be prepared to scrape alot.

I know I am in the minority, but I'd rather remove wall paper than paint.

Bookmark   December 30, 2010 at 9:11PM
More Discussions
How to move forward and paint after large scale patching and sanding
We have plaster walls and ceilings. I removed the...
lannegreenelag
Is the burgundy / red accent wall dated?
Hi all! Would love your opinions on this ! My husband...
eesmerelda
Living room and game room paint colors!! Help please!!
Hello everyone, I just bought my house and I need help...
fabbyar79
Front door color for my gray house!
Hey everyone, I need help choosing a front door color....
suzii
Benjamin Moore Sample Availability
Hi all! It's been a while since I've frequented the...
jeanninepc99
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™