Sherwin Williams Emerald

cblanco75December 19, 2013

I am painting my whole house after a major addition and renovation. My contractor recommended using ProMar200 Zero VOC. When I went to the Sherwin Williams store, one of the colors we chose did not come in ProMar. The salesperson convinced me to use Emerald since I only needed two gallons. It was the most expensive paint I have ever purchased for walls. (I have used and had great success with ProClassic for trim which is roughly the same price )

I used the ProMar first in two rooms and LOVED it. It is really fantastic paint. I used the Emerald yesterday, I HATE it. It doesn't flow nicely, it doesn't level nicely, and it ran all over the place. I used the same roller covers and brushes (Purdy Golden Eagle and Purdy XL Glide) and the same technique. Why did I have such success with the ProMar and fail so badly with the Emerald?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roof35

I was going to say, but am first curious of what the SW rep told you. What did they say?

Bookmark   December 20, 2013 at 6:37PM
cblanco75

She told me that Emerald would be perfect in the Bathroom because of how it wipes up, withstands steam, etc. And that I should avoid ProMar because it is what they use in rentals and hotels....smh.

As a follow up, I painted the bathroom and some of the workers got dusty hand prints on the wall. Took a wet cloth to the amazing emerald paint....just smeared the dust on the wall. I am so floored and glad I only bought two gallons of this swill.

Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 9:52AM
kks_mom

I love and have used SW paint for years, but I tried and hated the Emerald paint also. I thought it was kind of runny. I will stick with their Super Paint for the rest of time!

Bookmark   February 17, 2014 at 12:50AM
lucas_tx_gw

Interesting. I have used a lot of BM Aura and like it a lot but wanted to paint a bathroom a SW color and they had a sale, so I decided to try Emerald. Basically the same price except for the 25% off coupon.

I thought they were very comparable. No trouble with running. Areas I rolled blend just fine with areas I cut in with the brush. It was a very rough textured area and it did take me two coats to get all the nooks and crannys filled in but Aura takes two coats as well.

Bookmark   February 17, 2014 at 8:43PM
More Discussions
What finish for Exterior Douglas Fir Door
New Exterior Douglas Fir Door & Jam. I'd like to...
kisu
Help me pick Exterior Paint for my 1885 beauty
Hi, I would really love to get some advice about what...
queenie919
Paint to contrast molding
Hello, We just moved into a five year old townhouse...
JoAnn Babish
Looking for creamy light gold paint. Anyone?
Want to paint using a really light creamy color with...
jtaime2
Paint for basement stairs
I'm planning to repaint my basement stairs. Is SW Porch...
corgimum
Sponsored Products
Melrose Stripe Black Outdoor Bolster Pillow
$69.00 | FRONTGATE
Darya Rugs Arts and Crafts, Aqua, 2'6" x 8'2" Runner Rug M1732-171
Darya Rugs
Sweet William Chair in Mellow Yellow
$109.99 | Dot & Bo
Williams Credenza - Medium Medium
Joybird Furniture
Emerald Ovo Table Lamp
$99.99 | Lamps Plus